Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2016 17:00

SMI-S or CIM provider for ScaleIO?

Does anyone know if there is an SMI-S or CIM provider for ScaleIO? We use IBM Spectrum Control for all of our other storage (Almost all IBM branded but a few NetApps and some VMax and a VNX). You can add 3rd party anything so long as there's an SMI-S/CIM provider for it to talk to. I have it all working for the VMax and the VNX, but can't seem to find if such a thing exists for ScaleIO and I know its possible because VIPR does the same thing already. Thanks!

68 Posts

September 1st, 2016 20:00

Hello icase81,

I'm also interested to know if a SMI-S provider is available for ScaleIO.

I didn't find any information regarding availability of a SMI-S provider for ScaleIO. I can suppose it doesn't exist, I noticed that in CoprHD (OpenSource version of ViPR) ScaleIO can be added to Storage Providers but the "Type" description is "ScaleIO Gateway" while for other devices is "SMI-S for EMC VMAX, VNX Block". So I suppose that the communication between CoprHD or ViPR is not standard SMI-S.

You can see a video that shows how ScaleIO can be connected to ViPR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjpioC4kD0

We would like to use Microsoft SCVMM with SMI-S provider for ScaleIO but actually I think that for our specific case the only way to control the storage from SCVMM is to use CoprHD or ViPR (commercial) in order to connect to ScaleIO and use the ViPR Add-in for Microsoft System Center.

I hope that some EMC techie can shed some light on this.

Davide

No Events found!