Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2016 06:00

Unable to install SDC

Hi

I am moving a host from a scaleIO cluster that was running scaleIO 1.32 to a cluster running 2.0.x

I removed the old SDC and rebooted the host . I then went to add the new SDC using the vsphere web client but the host wasnt showing up as available

So i installed the vib manually and rebooted host but still the host isnt showing up under SDC's

Is there a way to get this working without reinstalling the hosts?

Thanks

306 Posts

November 10th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

Please try to reboot the ESXi host again; the plugin would make some extra steps involving SDC configuration - basically, you need to reboot it once after the VIB installation, than again after the configuration.

1. Install VIB

2. Reboot ESXi

3. Generate unique GUID (you can use some online GUID generators, please don't use AAAA-BBBB-CCCC type fo GUIDs)

4. Reconfigure the SDC driver with the correct GUID and the MDM IP addresses using "esxcli system module parameters set -m scini" command

5. Reboot ESXi again

Let me know if that worked for you :-)

Cheers,

Pawel

23 Posts

November 10th, 2016 07:00

hi

yes that worked and when i go to add servers to a registered SIO system then the two hosts show up now

But they dont show up under the list of SDC's in the  vsphere web client

306 Posts

November 10th, 2016 08:00

OK, I'm glad to hear it worked.

Regarding SDCs not visible in the client - there can be a lot of issues there, starting from DNS to a plugin problem.

Try to check the Web Client Virgo logs to see if there's any indication of why the SDCs are not being displayed.

306 Posts

No loss of any kind - only during the potential upgrade you might need to do it manually again.

Can you try display the SDCs in the plugin (so the logs refresh), then grep the Virgo logs for the missing hostnames and paste it here?

Thanks,

Pawel

23 Posts

all my other hosts are showing in SDC, the only ones not showing are the ones that i fixed in the manner above

is there any loss of functionality here ?

i dont see any dns issue in the logs and name resolution is fine.

23 Posts

November 11th, 2016 01:00

I dont see anything in the logs but if there is no loss of functionality then thats ok

one other question. i am removing one host from my sio environment - i have removed it from the sio gui and unmapped the volumes from the host. Do i just delete the svm then ?

when i want to reintroduce this host to the scale io cluster - can i just go through the wizard of adding hosts to an already configure scaleio cluster and  that host will then be available ?

306 Posts

November 11th, 2016 09:00

I don't have a lab here handy, but I think if you go to ScaleIO GUI -> Backed -> SDS -> Remove that should do. If there's an SVM still there, delete it manually.

And, yes, just use the wizard to deploy the new SDS if necessary - if there's no SVM running on the ESXi host you want to add as an SDS, it should show up just in the plugin.

1 Message

November 21st, 2021 02:00

Dear Sir

how can i Generate SDC GUID after installed sdc on esxi 7.x

45 Posts

November 21st, 2021 23:00

Hi , 

These strings can be generated by tools that are freely available online.
The GUID needs to conform to OSF DCE 1.1.
The expected format is xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx where each x can be a digit (0–9) or a letter (a–f).
Use  https://www.guidgenerator.com/ to generate the GUID.

Let me know if you have any issues with it.

Rdgs, 
Gearóid

No Events found!