Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

March 1st, 2023 13:00

4* 25G (2NDC & 2PCI) Network configuration

i need to configure VxRail Cluster with 2*25 NDC ports & 2*25 PCi ports what is the best practice to use predefined profiles  connecting ports 1NDC & 2PCi to switch01 and 2NDC & 1 PCI to switch 2 ?

if i go through this configuration what should i select during initial implementation 4*25 Ports ?

and if i decided to go through custom network could you please advice with required steps? is there any prepration befor doing that to ESXI hosts vSwitch ? what is the best mapping ?

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

March 7th, 2023 06:00

Thank you for sharing those pictures from the Configuration Portal. They help illustrate your question: why doesn't the Predefined option offer the four-port configuration when you add the PCIe card? I'm not sure I have the answer to that, but with the rapid advances VxRail has made in network configuration recently, I have been advising my students to use the Custom option when there is any doubt. Your illustrations show that you can choose a four-port VDS and connect all four 25 Gbps ports in the Custom configuration--if that's what you want, you should use that.

When the default card has both 1 Gbps and 10|25 Gbps ports as in your P670F selection, Predefined only selects the high-speed ports for the configuration.

You should not need to perform any re-configuration prior to install as long as at least one of vmnic0 to vmnic3 is connected at install time.  

#IWork4Dell

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

March 1st, 2023 13:00

as per network planning guide, does below mean predefined profiles  only use NDC ?

"If the VxRail cluster is deployed using one of the fixed network profiles, the uplink
assignments to each VxRail network are predefined based on whether two ports, or four
ports are selected to support the VxRail cluster. The fixed network profiles only select
NDC/OCP-based ports for VxRail networking purposes.
• In a 2-port configuration, the VxRail networks share the two uplinks.
• In a 4-port configuration, the management networks are assigned two uplinks and
the vMotion and vSAN networks are assigned the other two uplinks."

however in other section it declares predefined uplink mapping for both PCI and NDC 

• 

7.1K Posts

March 2nd, 2023 07:00

Hello Peterhalim,

Which VxRail system do you have as they are not stated in your post?

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

March 2nd, 2023 08:00

The version is P670F, we are using standard cluster 

• 

7.1K Posts

March 3rd, 2023 03:00

Hello Peterhalim,

predefined profiles can use both NDC & PCI. There are some examples listed in this link of how you would cable your configuration. file:///C:/Users/samuel_landers/Downloads/Appendix%20F_%20Physical%20Network%20Switch%20Examples.pdf

Here is an additional link to VxRail Network Info hub which has some additional guides as well. https://dell.to/3ESgYuD

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

March 7th, 2023 01:00

Hello, 

thank you for your reply and support , kindly could you please attach the PDF as it point to local machine. 

i have checked all the guide and found the connection for 4*25 2PCI and 2 OCP 

but the not clear point to me,we have 

1- NDC 2*1G Ports 

2- OCP 2*25G Ports

3- PCI 2*25G Ports

we are planning to use only OCP & PCI, should i do any preparation for VMNICs in the standard switch prior the deployment ? so the predefined profiles can installed successfully or all can be done is to connect as per guide 4*25 and select in the initial wizard OCP card and PCI card, will it ignore the NDC card (the first  NDC card 1G ports? )   

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

March 7th, 2023 05:00

the conflict to me is that from vxrailconfiguration.dell.com i selected 2NDC + 2PCI  as per first pic 

if we selected custom you can see that there are 2 Ports 1G in p670F model assigned to VMNIC0 and VMNCI1 as per second picture and if we select predefined it only show us that only avaiable 2 Ports for VDS config   at the end the reports it show only VMNIC1 and VMNIC are configured ? is it just bug in the site and in real situation it will use the 4 Ports ? 

firrst pic 4 Ports selected

Peterhalim_1-1678194282992.png

second pic show thatVMNIC1 is assigned to 1G ports whic will not be used

Peterhalim_0-1678194192726.png

third pic show that when we select predefined only 2 ports is available 

Peterhalim_3-1678194394950.png

fourth pic show it uses uplink1 and uplink2 only 

Peterhalim_4-1678194825577.png

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

March 7th, 2023 07:00

@Dell_DougM  Thank you for your detailed reply and clarification now it clear to me, i just need to confirm that in my case VMNIC2 to VMNIC5 the available ones, so no problem to proceed ignoring VMNIC0 & VMNIC1 that are connected to the down 1G ports and it will select VMNIC2 to VMNIC5

1 Rookie

• 

27 Posts

March 7th, 2023 07:00

Yes, using the Custom option, you can select vmnic2 to vmnic5 for your VDS. As you saw in the Configuration Portal, the Predefined option only selects vmnic2 and vmnic3. You will need to use the Custom option to use all four high-speed vmnics.

@DELL-Sam L pointed you to the Network Planning Guide in an earlier post. Appendix E of that guide shows the standard port group mappings typically used in VxRail. While you can use any portgroup mapping you like, these are our best practices for setting up port groups.

#IWork4Dell

No Events found!