Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2016 06:00

4-node VxRAIL 120 Hybrid - usable space question

Hi Folks,

I am looking to size a 4-node VxRAIL 120 Hybrid with a 400GB Caching SSD + 7TB total of usable capacity.

I have mixed workloads between SQL Server databases, Indexers (Splunk), generic VMs.

A rough estimate of 2,800 IOPS @ 16-24kb distribution, low locality.

I haven't found enough information on VxRAIL storage configurations to lead me to the answer.

What are you thoughts on the disk configurations per node, what the raw and formatted capacities would be?

I would prefer to keep with Flash/SAS, no NL-SAS

Cheers,

James

15 Posts

August 18th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

On hybrid configurations the usable area is roughly 48/49% of the raw capacity when using FTT=1.

So, in a 4 node with 5 X 1.2TB disks per node, you have ~11TB usable. If using 4 X 1.2TB disks per node you have ~9TB usable.

Does this answer your question ?

Regards,

August 19th, 2016 06:00

Hi there,

Thank you, perfect.

Is there a performance sizing considerations for IOPS/drive in a VxRAIL scenario, or do we follow VSAN recommendations?  e.g. for a 10k SAS (typical 150iops RND), how does this work our when added in VxRAIL?

Thanks

James

15 Posts

August 19th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

All VSAN considerations would apply.

But, I don't think sizing using simply IOPS/Drive is a good ( or comprehensive ) strategy.

It will depends on how cache friendly the workload is, and the working set size, and both of those variables are very hard to determine.

On hybrid configurations the SSD Cache is divided in a read cache and a write buffer. If the working set fits the cache layer, the disks would not be on the data path, meaning the application will be acknowledged before the data is written to the disk ( capacity layer ).

There is a very good paper regarding VSAN sizing : http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/virtual-san-6.2-design-and-sizing-guide.p…

Regards,

12 Posts

August 31st, 2016 05:00

Hi Gustavo,

What is the RAID in VXRAIL per disk group ?

Thanks,

Jaffer

15 Posts

August 31st, 2016 10:00

Hi,

VSAN does not use RAID.

It uses Mirroring or Erasure Coding, and protects the objects ( i.e VMDKs ) instead of disks.

Hybrid configurations can choose from FTT=0 ( no protection ) to FTT=3 ( Triple Mirroring ).

All Flash configurations also have the Erasure Coding option, which offers a protection level similar to RAID5 or RAID6. It is managed by the policy "Fault Tolerance Method".

I suggest you to read the whitepaper VMware Virtual SAN 6.2 Space Efficiency Technologies - https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-vsan-62-space-efficiency-technologies.pdf

Thanks,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 30th, 2016 10:00

Hi James,

Curious to see how you've gotten along with this. For Hybrid arrays there was a VSAN 6.2 Hotfix that addressed disabling the dedupe scanner as it could cause performance issues in some cases.

No Events found!