Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2018 16:00

DNS Changes to VCSA, PSC, and Manager servers?

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone had the instructions on changing DNS server IP's for VCSA, PSC, and manager servers? The KB "492132 https://support.emc.com/kb/492132" did not help. The referenced "vmware-dnsmasq" service was not found and the "dnsmasq.conf" file was empty. The old "primary" DNS server crashed and ever since I have been unable to logon to the management box and the VCSA web client no longer launches. There were actually 4 DNS configured but it seems like only the primary was used and the other three for some reason don't work. All VM's are up and running and I can even ping all other servers from each of the VxRail VM's (i.e. VxRail Manager, VCSA, and PSC). Any ideas on why the KB didn't work on the VxRail, different file location perhaps? Thank you...

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

March 20th, 2018 05:00

First of all, you should request a new SR against Dell EMC.

DNS change procedure varies depending on whether VxRail Version, and Internal or External VC.

The most reliable procedure is SolveDesktop or SolveOnline.

13 Posts

March 20th, 2018 07:00

VxRail Version 4.5.0 and Internal VC. SolveDesktop did not make reference to it. All I was able to find was KB 492132 which did not work. A DNS change and reboot of the VC and PSC sever should remedy this with no issues.

60 Posts

March 20th, 2018 09:00

@garciajbg are you a Dell | EMC employee? a Partner or a customer?

Depending on which of the above category you are in, you may not have access in SolVe to some content.  Access to SolVe content is based on your support.emc.com profile. There is some content that is restricted from customer access. In this case, the customer would need to open an SR with support and work with support to perform the activity.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

March 20th, 2018 09:00

I can find this
I have no idea why you can't in solvedesktop

1.PNG.png

2.PNG.png

Are you sure you update solvedesktop for vxrail?

3 Posts

October 26th, 2020 19:00

hi guys

i've done with Naoyuki's advises

1. https://[vcenter ip] : 5480

2. root / password

3. networking - Network Settings - Edit

4. hostname and DNS - Enter DNS settings manually - fill in the new DNS IP Address

5. save

6. wait synchronization

7. repeat step 1 - 5 for PSC (Platform Services Controller).

but still not not normal for vmware vcenter view.

T&R,

IWN

3 Posts

October 27th, 2020 00:00

next step :

8. all ESX-i must change the DNS IP Address, how :

- via ESX console in IDRAC, [f2] then change DNS IP address, save and restart the management network.

(repeat for all ESX).

9. vxrail DNS IP address  must change also, how :

- on suse - xterm : vi resolv.conf edit the DNS ip address save.

10. I did all host re-start (cold), then waiting about 1 hour - run the vcenter vm.

hope that helps.

No Events found!