Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 23rd, 2018 07:00

ESRS on VxRail Manager

VxRail Version 4.0.302-6829778.

I am trying to configure ESRS on VxRail Manager but when i try to login to my online support account on VxRail Manager, I get an error :

"HTTP connection refused".

Internet access is blocked for this VxRail Manager install and so this is blocking the configuration of ESRS on VxRail Manager,

I don’t see any option to configure a proxy server  in VxRail 4.0 (I dont have any proxy server to use anyway). Version 4.5 does have that option.

Does anybody know of an alternative solution to get ESRS configured for VxRail Manager? I would assume that there are some installs of VxRail manager in dark sites that has a workaround to get ESRS working?

89 Posts

Thank you for the information Gary.

Do you know if this is specified in any KB or document, as I am unable to locate any supporting documentation?

Do you know if the same requirement is also for VxRail 4.5?

60 Posts

Unfortunately, for VxRail v4.0.30x, enabling ESRS requires an internet connection. There is no way around that.

60 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 08:00

No idea on the KB, but in 4.5.150, we now support a Proxy so this should be resolved once you upgrade to the 4.5.150 release. Which by the way has not been released yet.

142 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 09:00

4.0.400 supports proxy - take a look at VxRail  release notes.

7 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 18:00

I am having similar problem on Enabling ESRS at VxRail 4.5.070 (upgraded from 4.0.310).

At VxRail Manager, I am able to Configure Proxy Settings and Set Support Account.

When I try to Enable ESRS, after the VM is deployed and power up, it shows
"Your current ESRS status is: Disabled"
"ESRS can not connect to your site. Please check that the IP address you assigned to ESRS has Internet access."

Does the procedure on KB#478546 work on VxRail 4.5.070?
By the way the KB mentioned a "cleanup_esrs.sh script from https://support.emc.com/kb/496831" which I do not have access to.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 18:00

please refer to this

VxRail: How to manually deploy ESRS/VE, configure proxy and register via hidden page

KB#478546

89 Posts

January 24th, 2018 00:00

Thanks all.

I forgot to add that there is no ESRS deployed on this VxRail. There is an existing ESRS already deployed in the network and so the plan is for the VxRail to point to that ESRS.

So from all the replies I have had, it sounds like there is no possible way to enable ESRS on this VxRail manager install , if it does not have an internet connection??

89 Posts

January 24th, 2018 03:00

Does anybody know if a workaround of temporary providing internet access to VxRail Manager would resolve the ESRS configuration? (Restore internet connectivity to VxRail Manager -> Configure ESRS - > Remove internet connectivity from VxRail Manager)

8 Posts

January 24th, 2018 15:00

here's a 10/2017 ESRS doc that i find useful, reference back to from time to time - https://www.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu55301.pdf

142 Posts

January 24th, 2018 17:00

Yes, temporary providing internet access to VxRail Manager just to register with ESRS will work.

You can also use existing ESRS for VxRail, just make sure you add the Site ID to it.

142 Posts

January 24th, 2018 17:00

You can register VxRail (no internet access) with ESRS using the command line in KB 478546

89 Posts

January 25th, 2018 00:00

Hi emc_troy,

Thank you for your comments. I tried the command line option from KB 478546 but it failed with :

{"errorCode":502,"message":"Failed to register VxRail to ESRS: invalid credentials, or ESRS not activated yet."}

The last line of KB 478546 says "

• On this code level VxRail manager VM still requires Internet access to be able to validate the credentials used to activate ESRS"

So I assume an internet connection is required for that option to work.

I also tried the hidden page option but that failed with the message:

Register ESRS failed. Please make sure you deployed and activated ESRS through the VxRail Manager

So is my only option to temporarily provide internet access to VxRail Manager, register ESRS, then disable internet access to VxRail Manager?

Thanks

142 Posts

January 25th, 2018 05:00

Temporary internet will differently work, but I just did one ESRS with VxRail .302 with no internet access.

There are a couple of things that needs to be done:

- The account you use to register needs to be attached to the Site ID where VxRail is.

- The SiteID has to be added to ESRS: Go to managed devices (top right), and close to top left you will see the SiteIDs. If the VxRail Site id is not there - add it.

- You must use CURL, hidden page or VxRail Manager UI wants to validate credentials you enter before continue.

- Try at least 3 times :-)

89 Posts

January 25th, 2018 06:00

Hi emc_troy,

The site ID has been already added to the ESRS gateways which has other DELL EMC equipment already successfully added in to the list of managed devices. So I guess my plan of action now is:

1. Temporarily enable internet access for VxRail Manager.

2. Validate/sign in with the support.emc.com account details on VxRail Manager UI. (Try at least 3 times).

3. Join the External ESRS and add in IP/site ID.

4. Verify ESRS is enabled on the VxRail Manager UI

5. Disable internet access for VxRail Manager.

Thanks

Ronan

142 Posts

January 25th, 2018 06:00

That should work.

No Events found!