Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Posts

October 8th, 2018 12:00

NTP Issue

Hello all,

today I tried to setup a new VXRail cluster but have an NTP issue.

During Validation we receive the message that time difference between VXRail an ESXi Hosts and vCenter and ESXi hosts is more then 10 minutes.

Appropriate some help here.

Greetings

Arkadiusz

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2018 21:00

Arkadiusz

Please check date/time on each node, VxRail Manager VM and vCenter using the "date" command.

Use the following commands to correct the time if necessary:

• ESXi nodes: esxcli system time set
  • VxRail Manager VM: date --set=""

3 Posts

October 8th, 2018 23:00

Hi,

checked with date command on all components and evyrthing looks fine.
TimeZone is Europe/Berlin.

20 Posts

October 9th, 2018 05:00

Hello Arkadiusz:

I've had the same issue. Please don't use NTP when you are in the

installation process. Do the installation process without NTP and when all

the process is done, you can configure NTP for all the elements.

Good luck.

Octavio Guerra

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018, 6:01 AM Arkadiusz

October 9th, 2018 09:00

Hi Arkadiusz,

i understand , VXrail Validation failed due to NTP issue, Pls confirm on below.

Which Vxrail Software bundle version you are using.

Are you using dedicate NTP server or it is on AD server.

if NTP is on dedicate server make sure it should be reachable from esxi host. Check your networking.

10 Posts

October 9th, 2018 11:00

I assume you performed this install with the help of DellEMC? We've run into the pain in the butt problem on both of our cluster installs. IMHO this is something that DellEMC should be taking care of prior to the cluster install as part of the node validation and iDRAC setup. We use an external vCenter instance to manage all our Rail clusters. If you make sure to sync the time of the new ESXi hosts with vCenter (within 10 minutes) this problem goes away. The problem is you need to enter the syntax via the console esxi shell and you have type out the syntax string on each host. painful when you're trying to go through the Rail configuration.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2018 03:00

Hi!

Thank you for your input, and we performed the Installation on our own, as we are a DELL partner.

I solved the problem by changing the Timeworn on all Components (VxRail Nodes, External vCenter Server and VxRail Manager ) to UTC.

Setup went fine without any warning and errors and Cluster was successfully created!
  Afterwards we need to adjust the Times back to our original Time zone as we saw some warning on our vCenter Server.

No Events found!