This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2016 02:00

VxRail against Oracle ODA

Hi ,

VxRail against Oracle ODA

Can the below points be confirmed ?

1- I can see Oracle Database Enterprise Edition + Either RAC to RAC-One node is a must for ODA. For VxRail, customer can have Database Standard Edition which comes with a free RAC licenses.

2- I see only Storage Expansion option, nothing on the servers part. I think Oracle will ask the customer to buy another ODA if he needs only small addition to servers. For VxRail we offer scalability by nodes which is more cost effective for the customer.

56 Posts

March 17th, 2016 08:00

Oracle ODA is a fixed server appliance (no scale out on server capacity). It utilizes the ZFS Storage Appliance for storage capacity, thus requiring 6U of space and 128 TB raw storage for the base - and only- configuration available.

VxRail provides much greater flexibility in the configurations available. Allowing a customer to start at much lower entry points for storage capacity as well as compute (the latter of which will greatly impact Oracle licensing costs).  Nodes can be added for additional compute and storage as customer environments expand.

As to licensing, of Oracle, please refer to Oracle licensing guides. Be mindful of the cores that need to be licensed as this is where Oracle licensing can quickly become an expensive part of TCO.

No Events found!