Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2015 19:00

15Z slow boot after W10 upgrade

My Inspiron 15Z Ultrabook has a conventional hard-drive with a small SSD to enable fast boots; however after upgrading from W8.1 to W10, the boot time is considerably longer. Has anyone else experienced this? And are there any recommended fixes?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2015 03:00

Hi,

Thanks you for writing to us.

You can Try the following steps.

Step 1: It is known that Windows 10 is still vulnerable to malware infection, especially if you have not run an anti-virus scan or complete system malware scan, following the free upgrade. So, go ahead and run a full system scan with your favourite anti-virus/anti-malware software to remove any possible infections from the PC.

Step 2: Press and hold Ctrl, Shift and Esc to invoke the Task Manager. Then select the Startup tab and then sort out the items according to their Startup impact rating. Disable all those in High category, except for the crucial security software installed on the computer.

Please also download the IRST Drivers which is required for mSATA to work.

Thanks

Robin

32 Posts

August 20th, 2015 10:00

Thanks for the info; how do I check if I already have the IRST drivers? and where would I get the IRST drivers?

24 Posts

August 24th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

I too have an inspiron 15z and suffered much slower boot times under W10.

My hard drive is the same as yours.

With Win 8.1 my boot times were 20 seconds. With W10 it was 3 mins.

I googled for days and tried everything that I could find. Nothing worked.

In the end I decided that I couldn't like with the slow boot times and reverted back to Win 8.1.

The good news was that after the revert to Win 8.1, the boot times were back to 20 seconds. However most of my installed programs no longer appear in my app list (start screen-all apps). They are still installed, so I can activate them from windows explorer, but it's a bit annoying.

I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice. Just want to let you know that you're not alone, and that my set up is probably identical to yours and suffering the same problem.

Hope you have better luck.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 25th, 2015 09:00

Hi Colmfarrell,

Thank you for writing to us.

You could also try the mentioned steps and also update the same drivers to check if it help .

Thanks

Robin

24 Posts

Hi Robin,

There were no updated drivers for that listed on the Dell suport under my service tag (I looked for them at the time). And none were found by asking Windows to look for updated drivers.

I will try looking again when I try to try to upgrade to W 10 again in a few months. But for the moment I'm going to stick with W8.1 as it boots nice and fast.

Colm

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi TFOX37380,

The IRST drivers are Intel Rapid Storage Technology that can be found in the device manager .

You can download the same from the Dell website .

Thanks

Robin

24 Posts

October 11th, 2015 05:00

I've decided to try Windows 10 again and see if it's any better this time.

Things have improved, but still much slower than Windows 8.1.

I used the time with Windows 8.1 to accurately measure start-up and shut-down times.

With Win 8.1 start up was reliably an consistently 20 seconds from hitting the start button to a windows desktop.

Shut down was between 25 and 30 seconds, with 27 being the most common number.

Which Windows 10 now, shut down times are about 5 second longer. No big deal.

But start-up times are now, consistently, 50 seconds. So while much better than I saw when I last installed Win 10, it's still 2.5 times longer than Win 8.1

I've tried to reinstall Intel Rapid Start and Intel Rapid Storage drivers. The only ones available were for Win 8.1. Installing them again didn't make any difference to start up time.

In the Win 10 power options, I unticked "Fast startup" and that made the startup times much slower (over 90 seconds).

Not sure what else I should do to try and get my fast boot times back under Win 10.

Colm

24 Posts

October 17th, 2015 14:00

Well for anyone else suffering from the same, I eventually solved it. Now my W10 boot and shutdown times are even faster than Win 8.1

The solution is pretty simple. There is no updated driver for Intel Rapid Start Technology. So just make sure you have the latest one from 2013 which is for Win 8.1.

That didn't solve the problem for me though. What did, was there is a new Win 10 driver for Intel Rapid STORAGE technology. Installing this update solved the problem for me!

Here is a link to the driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

I hope that helsp someone else out :) I was debating going back to Win 8.1 again, but now am much happier :)

1 Message

November 16th, 2015 03:00

This indeed works. With the new windows 10 update (Nov 2015) I face the same problem. I haven't tried to reinstall the RST drivers again! Would it help?

35 Posts

February 25th, 2016 00:00

Well, you can try to enable or disable the fast start-up feature this is largely able to fix the sluggish boot speeds.  Try out the given methods:

• Go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options.

• And click on “Choose what the power button does” and then select “Change settings that are currently unavailable.” And new options under Shutdown settings appear. And tick “Turn on fast startup” checkbox and click “Save changes.”

• After that reboot your PC/laptop and hold “Windows Key + R” as the desktop appears. Enter “services.msc” in the Run dialog box and press Enter key.

• Next take note of the service list which appear to delay their launch and right click those meeting the conditions, open and change their setting from default to delayed start and click on Save.

visit this to know more: www.reimagerepair.us.com/.../windows-10-how-to-fix-slow-boot-up-issues-after-free-upgrade

1 Message

May 22nd, 2017 14:00

I had the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 that was upgraded from Windows 8 tot 10. I just installed the latest version (15.5.0.1051) of the Intel RST software and everything is as fast as before!  

Link to the download page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26730/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST- 

I downloaded SetupRST.zip. After unpacking you only have to run the exe and reboot your computer two times and than everrything works fine.

On the Dell support pages you can only find the old RST software version for Win8.1 (version 12.8.0.1016 of 2013). Strange that Dell does not add a link to the Intel support pages.

No Events found!