Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

October 5th, 2020 23:00

17 R5 Win10, NVMe SSD clone of SATA SSD

The Alienware 17 R5 Laptop was delivered with a 250GB SATA SDD. Purchase of a 1TB NVMe SSD was undertaken and the SATA SSD was cloned to the NVMe SDD. The BIOS/UEFI automatically acknowledged the M.2 PCIe NVMe SDD

20201005 BIOS MAIN.JPG

The Win10 Disk Management acknowledges the NVMe SSD C: partition to be healthy. 

Disk Management.jpg

The Paragon Hard Disk Manager also acknowledges the NVMe SSD C: partition to be healthy. But the Paragon Hard Disk Manager unexpectedly includes another Local Disk partition. Does anyone know why there is an additional Local Disk partition and its function? 

Paragon Hard Disk Manager.jpg

[This user does not work for Dell and volunteers their free time. Please remember to say thank you by clicking on my thumb up icon.]

3 Apprentice

• 

559 Posts

October 6th, 2020 19:00

If you're referring to the 128 MB "hidden" partition, I believe that has something to do with the GUID partition table. I came across that same issue when migrating my HDD over to an NVMe. It's fine, so leave it alone.

However, looking at your Paragon screenshot, it appears that you have the partitions on your NVMe ordered incorrectly. The 100 MB 'No Name' partition (EFI) should be first, followed by the 128 MB "hidden" partition, then your C: drive and then the recovery (Windows RE tools) partition. I would say leave it alone if everything is working fine, but at some point Windows may create another recovery partition at the end of your C: drive, using that one instead of the one located between the smaller partitions.

If possible, try cloning your original drive again with Macrium Reflect, preserving the original partition order. You don't have to preserve the Windows recovery partition on the NVMe drive as that makes it easier to extend your C: drive partition to fill up the unallocated space. At some point, Windows will recreate that partition at the end where it belongs.

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

October 6th, 2020 22:00

Hi @Kflash08 thank you for responding with your excellent observations.

We are referring to the 128 MB "hidden" partition and was just wondering why the Paragon Hard Disk Manager shows it when Win10 Disk Management does not. We speculate that the cloning software created and used it during its offline cloning process, because it is not on the original SATA SSD.

We see internet articles about GPT Disk partitions Not in Recommended Order. The NVMe SSD is working fine with no complaints. We are happy to wait for Win10 upgrades to move things around to optimise its disk environment.

We used the recommended Acronis True image OEM cloning software that came with the NVMe SSD. Then we used our fully licensed and powerful Paragon Hard Disk Manager 14 Suite for other partition changes. This explains why we shared the Paragon partition layout image.

No Events found!