Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2015 20:00

8500 and windows 10

I haven't had much problems except the drivers for some things changed to realtech, some minor issues like sound on speakers not turning off with headphones on. THE PROBLEM IS THAT DELL IS NOT SUPPORTING AN $1800.00 CPU that is two years old and under original warranty, bought as top-of-the-line Dell home computer with win 8 factory installed. Absolutely no excuse for such bad business and horrible customer support. Dell should invest in the upgrades for the computer, send everybody under warranty a new cpu, or, at the very least, invest in more rickshaws to staff the call center better. I will never, ever, buy a dell anything again.

2.3K Posts

November 21st, 2015 15:00

The issue isn't when you bought it but when the model came out.  The XPS 8500 was introduced in 2012 and Dell seemed to went from model start date going forward.  It looks like their cutoff was 3 years.  You can use the windows 8.1 drivers for most if not all of the hardware and it should work, but you do it at your own risk. 

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 15:00

Actually no I don't. it is under warranty and the attorney general of my state has picked up case and says it applies to the "lemon law" originally designed for automobiles. when dell makes a product is not my problem, if they knew it was outmoded it should have been removed from market. it is not at my risk and my warranty extends till 2017. i suppose you work for dell, in that case the certified letter from lawyer will arrive in Texas Tuesday and you can read it.

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 16:00

Also, btw, Apoo at dells service center suggested I update it anyway. I have this chat saved in cloud with all other communications both voice and chat (in my state I do not have to inform them they are being recorded) so it is definitely not "at my risk". they even offered to update it to 10 for me. 

2.3K Posts

November 24th, 2015 10:00

Actually Dell does not have to provide any sort of update for your model for an operating system that did not come with it.  When the 8500 came out, Windows 10 was probably still being thought up. As for lemon laws, your computer still works for the OS it came with thus those wouldn't apply.  You also have to take into consideration rules and regulations that Microsoft places on OEMs when it comes to their software.  Also you agreed to Terms of Sale when you purchased your computer from Dell, or through a third party and are bound by those Terms of Sale.  

Again, you are more then welcome to download windows 10, install windows 8.x drivers and see if that works, however it is at your own risk as Dell will only warranty your computer for the operating system it came with per the terms of sale and use you agreed to. 

5 Posts

October 20th, 2016 08:00

You don't have to? Ya, I don't have to buy anything from Dell again either. That has been about 25k over last twenty years. Bye.

2.3K Posts

October 20th, 2016 17:00

You will find its the same at any other computer company.  Have a nice one.

5 Posts

October 20th, 2016 18:00

No it is not. Sorry. For one thing, if my new computer company gets hacked, they inform me.

No Events found!