Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2017 16:00

Alienware 15-R2, Win10 Creator, Support Assistant & AlienFX no go

After installing Win10 Creators, my Support Assistant and AlienFX no longer function; stuck with the last lighting profile I set. I tried uninstall/reinstall of both programs, same result. Loss of function.  When I go to the Dell support webpage for Alienware 15R2 for downloads and look manually, there are NO updates/fixes that incorporate Win10 Creators for programs that have conflicts. When is Dell going to address this?

Thanks.

1 Message

April 25th, 2017 07:00

I have an Alienware 15 R3 and this happens also.  The trackpad software also crashes when you try to open it.

9.4K Posts

April 26th, 2017 07:00

Hi vacavalier,

Thanks for posting.

According to information I received from Microsoft,  since you are facing multiple issue it is best to perform Repair upgrade and check. Repair upgrade will not delete or remove anything from your system. Follow the steps from link below:

How to: perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file 

Also if you would like to go back to previous build of Windows 10 then follow the steps below:

1. Click on the Start menu and select Settings.

2. Now click on Update and security.

3. Now click on Recovery tab.

4. Under Go back to an earlier build select get started and follow the onscreen instruction.

Post back to let us know the status of the issue. The experts on this board will be happy to assist you further.

13 Posts

April 26th, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the reply Robert...

I tried as suggested, but it just took me to a link to install Win10 Creators.  So, as I do not have any critical or a large amount of third-party programs installed I just decided to rollback to initial Factory Image; Win 8.1.

In doing so, I've lost my free Win10 upgrade from last year.  I do not know the ramifications/loss of performance I'll have with my Alienware 15R2 by reverting but this was my only option, as I also inadvertently deleted my .old file(s) for my previous Win10 install prior to doing the Creators update.

UPDATE/EDIT:  In doing the Factory-Rollback, it allowed Win10 to be retained!  The Alienware Command Center & Support Center are now WORKING!  Now, I am just reinstalling my 3rd party software... 

I'm going to forego the Creators update for the time being until Dell/Alienware rolls-out specific drivers for it.

Thanks!

2.3K Posts

April 26th, 2017 16:00

Just an FYI, you do not loose your 'license' for Windows 10.  Its embedded into your BIOS/UEFI and recorded with your machine specs at Microsoft so in the future if you ever want to go back to Win10 you can and shouldn't have any issue.

13 Posts

April 26th, 2017 17:00

Thanks...  I should have known that but was nervous of doing the procedure when the Alienware pop-up stated "return to out-of-the-box state."

No Events found!