Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 24th, 2016 18:00

Automatic updates and other ***

This is not due to my error. I tolerate things like this happening occasionally, as annoying as they are, provided it is occasional.

Such as, despite me having automatic windows updates turned off, once every few months, somehow... it updates automatically anyway, without asking me first. Usually this has screwed up the functionality of my "Fn" key, making adjusting things like screen brightness a nuisance... and would also mess about settings such as how my external displays are set up.

2 days ago, that annoying pop-up showed up again trying force me to upgrade to windows 10. I told it to f** off for about the 100th time this year probably. Then I went downstairs to make myself some food. I come back up, and I see the *** thing in the middle of an upgrade to windows 10.

This is not acceptable, but I get it. It's not Dell's problem

What happened just a moment ago has me utterly p**sed off. I have my automatic Dell system updates set up so they occur every Tuesday night. Still, before restarting my computer, it asks my permission first. Click "ok", and it restarts. Click "cancel" and you restart it yourself later.

Firstly, I don't know what the *** started going wrong, but during the installation of the update itself, my USB devices started going haywire, telling me that driver installations had failed. I don't know why.

Secondly, after the updates finished, and it asked me the "ok" or "cancel" option to restart the computer, I clicked "cancel". Then the f***king restarted my computer anyway, tried to do the BIOS firmware upgrade, screwed up in the middle for no reason and rebooted the PC as normal.

Thirdly, the computer is barely functional now. Even the touchpad mouse doesn't work. It works initially, then stops working. No USB devices connect, and start-up takes 3x longer.

I am sick of this automated SH**T doing what it feels like in the background. I tried to do a system restore. Won't work. Either it's my antivirus blocking it, or the last time I checked... it was just some unusual error which Microsoft support doesn't really know how to handle at all, and only pretend they do by offering awkward workarounds in their forums. No actual solutions.

I have a presentation I am supposed to give tomorrow. I will manage. But some day, this is going to happen in the wrong place at the wrong time... and who the *** knows. I might even try to sue someone then. This is far beyond irritating. This has no right to happen in the first place. And now I have to waste fking time fixing this ***.

Thanks for nothing. And the mouse has stopped working again, so I can't click on the box below to confirm that "I'm not a robot". I have to restart my computer AGAIN, just to do this, and I will.

P.S. Quick diagnostics tests show no errors. Obviously, this is bull**t.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 24th, 2016 19:00

I managed to do the system restore eventually. I think it works now.

I certainly don't want this kind of bo||ex happening again. It is 4am now.

No Events found!