Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2015 06:00

BIOS

Hello

I recently bought a DELL Inspiron 15 5547, which ran Linux. I thought I could handle it, but I quickly decided to install the familiar Windows. An update has appeared for my BIOS, version A05 to A08, but I cannot install it due to an "invalid firmware image". I believe this can solve a problem I have with shutting down the laptop, cause, when I do, the fan keeps on turning, sometimes to the end of the battery. Is there a way to unlock the BIOS and install the update?

My brother has the same laptop, albeit without the 1TB and 8GB RAM, and he has no problems.

Thanks to anyone who replies, 

Alex

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 24th, 2020 22:00

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln300716/how-to-recover-the-bios-on-a-dell-computer-or-tablet?lang=en

How do I initiate BIOS Recovery on a Dell desktop or all-in-one computer?

1. Restart the computer.

2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.

3. On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key to save the current BIOS settings.

4. Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.

Note: Your Dell computer may restart a few times during the process of BIOS recovery.

1.8K Posts

September 9th, 2015 13:00

Hello,

Are you seeing a password request when you're trying to get into BIOS?  If the BIOS is locked, and you need a password to unlock it, you would need to contact Dell's Tech support.  We can't provide help for passwords via the forums, as you would need to prove ownership of the system to get help.

If you're able to get into the BIOS you should be able to locate an option to reset the BIOS to factory settings, and I suggest you do that.  (I don't have a copy of the BIOS for the 5547 that I can review so I can't give you directions on where to find the reset option)

Please give me a bit more information on where / when you're seeing the BIOS locked and I'll see if I can help you a bit more.

Todd

3 Posts

September 14th, 2015 08:00

Thank you for replying! I haven't seen any password and the update has mysteriously vanished. The laptop is working fine except sometimes, when I shut down or hibernate, the fan keeps spinning and sometimes it drains the battery. 

Do you think I should reset the BIOS or should I just leave it as it is?

Thank you again!

2 Posts

September 24th, 2020 11:00

DELL INSPIRON 5523

WOULDN'T TURN ON

DID RESET BUTTON NEXT TO RAM NOW IT TURNS ON

CAN ONLY GET TO BIOS

BIOS IS A05

HOW CAN I LOAD FIRMWARE UPDATE WITHOUT WINDOWS BOOT? STRIGHT FROM BIOS MAYBE FROM USB?

5.6K Posts

September 24th, 2020 20:00

You can update BIOS without Windows if you create a bootable FreeDOS USB flash drive.

No Events found!