K_User
1 Nickel

BitLocker: need a key but I never installed it

Hi all, I have an unusual problem. 3 days ago my hard drive got blocker by BitLocker. It asks for a key in order to unlock my hard drive.

The problem is that I have never installed or set up BitLocker. This is a new laptop and no one had access to it except me. So I am 100% sure that BitLocker was never set up. I bought it via Amazon in Boston 4 months ago.

I checked my Microsoft account but didn't find BitLocker key there (again, because I didn't set it up). I called Dell and they told me I should call Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they told me I should call Dell. It's a closed circle and no one seems to be responsible.

My solution is to re-install Windows but in this case, I will lose all my data (which I don't want to do).

Does Dell community has any recommendations? Did this issue happen in the past? Who could have set up BitLocker encryption on my laptop without providing me with a password?

If I don't recover my data, I consider suing Dell here in Boston. 

0 Kudos
122 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Re: BitLocker: need a key but I never installed it

Some systems set that up automatically. Check the link and you should have at least one key listed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17133/windows-8-bitlocker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-qu...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

K_User
1 Nickel

Checked that link 20 times already. It says there are 2 options to find a key: 1) check Microsoft account online - I checked and I don't have a key there because i didn't set it up. 2) A saved copy of the recovery key - I don't have it either because I didn't set it up

Saltgrass
4 Germanium

I did not set it up either .. but my C: partition was Bitlocked not just once, but every time I reinstalled Windows.

If you do not show a key when you search your account for Recovery key .. I don't have anything else to say.  My system which did this, and the only one out of three, was the XPS 13 9365.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Oh, sorry .. there is one more thing I need to mention. Make sure you are logged into your system with a Microsoft account so you can turn off Bitlocker. Of course, this may not be relevant to your situation.

0 Kudos
Mary G
5 Iridium

Also make sure you are signed in with your Administrator account. You cannot use a Local Account. 

You did not buy from Dell if you got the computer from Amazon. Dell computers are sold by resellers there and fulfilled by Amazon. Even if you did buy directly from Dell's web site, only the hardware is warrantied. Bitlocker would not be covered.

0 Kudos
Klinten
1 Copper

Hi, did you get any further with this? I have the same problem. A DELL Latitude 5580 prompting for at Bitlocker key on startup. I have never activated Bitlocker on the machine, so i don't have the key.

Regards

0 Kudos

@Klintenwrote:

Hi, did you get any further with this? I have the same problem. A DELL Latitude 5580 prompting for at Bitlocker key on startup. I have never activated Bitlocker on the machine, so i don't have the key.

Regards

Hi Klinten, 

Are you still able to login to Windows and use the laptop? Have you updated your BIOS recently?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Klinten
1 Copper

Hi Alan,

No i can not login to windows. I'm not able to get pass the Bitlocker.

I have not made any change to the BIOS at all.

@Klintenwrote:

Hi Alan,

No i can not login to windows. I'm not able to get pass the Bitlocker.

I have not made any change to the BIOS at all.

If you are unable to login and you do not have the Bitlocker recovery key, there is no way to access the system. The bitlocker protection is working as designed. Bitlocker can only be suspended from within Windows.The only way to gain access to the system is by reinstalling the operating system, wiping out any data currently on the drive. More information about troubleshooting Bitlocker issues can be found here

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos