Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2018 05:00

Blank white screen when Dell Update active

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series.  For some reason when Dell Update is active a blank white screen takes over my screen.  The only way to get out of it is to do a control>alt>del to get to task manager. From there I click on Dell Update and End Task.  Have tried uninstalling Dell Update and reinstalling to no avail.  Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 1st, 2018 16:00

Please uninstall Dell update, and then enter the service tag number (or use Detect PC) onto the link below.

Drivers and Downloads

After, select Detect Drivers in your Dell Product Support page. The dell tool will search for the latest Dell firmware and drivers(BIOS, Chipset and Video) for the system.

January 2nd, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the reply. I tried as you suggested.  Uninstalled Dell Update.  Went to Drivers and Downloads. Detected Drivers. Updated Bios. Reinstalled Dell Update. Still have problem. If I try to open Dell Update or if it tries to open itself to check for updates, my screen still goes white. Can only  end task by going into task manager.

January 2nd, 2018 09:00

I just uninstalled Dell Update. Will not reinstall. My Dell model number is Inspiron 5567 (5000 Series).

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 09:00

Uninstall Dell update again and check if the white screen appears. Please don't reinstalled Dell update to check screen. I'm making sure the Dell update is causing the problem. By the way, list exact Dell model number: Example: Dell Inspiron 5559 (5000series)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 11:00

Any Event Viewer entries around the time the problem occurs.

Some of the Dell utilities are interconnected.  I believe Support Assist uses the Dell Update when it checks for updates.  As far as I know, there is no chart showing how the utilities are inter-related and which one needs to be installed or re-installed if something changes.

I do my update checks manually...

January 2nd, 2018 11:00

I think I am not going to re-install Dell Updates.  Instead, I will do the same as you and do them manually.  Thank you for your assistance.

No Events found!