Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

November 29th, 2018 02:00

Brand new XPS 13 failing on update 1803

Trying to get this literally brand new XPS 13 (9360 - i7-8550U 8/256) Win 10 Pro laptop setup, however it's constantly failing on win update 1803 with error "0x8024000b". I'm surprised the build included with the machine didn't at least have this major update which was released months ago.

It's a virgin machine with nothing installed except the Dell factory Windows 10 Pro install and any updates that it's subsequently installed. I'm not installing any additional software until patched and stable.

Is the best option to download the latest Win 10 Pro ISO from MS and do a new install? Will it pickup the COA in the bios ok.

Or other tips? (I have already contacted support 3 times, still no response or email confirmations...)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 29th, 2018 05:00

The error means the operation was cancelled.  Possibly a server problem but downloading the .iso and creating a USB flash drive should work fine.  You could then skip the older build version.

The Windows activation is kept online once a system has been activated.  So if your system is currently activated, a manual install of the new build should be fine.

I do not suggest clicking the button to upgrade now from the Media Creation Tool site since I have seen a couple of folks with problems.

Just a note, when you get a new system, it takes a while for Windows to catch up and install the necessary updates.  I usually spend one day manually checking for updates every couple of hours and waiting until it no longer finds any.  Since the latest Win 10 build does still not appear to be offered through Windows Update, you will probably not get it that way until it is.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 03:00

Thanks for taking the time to reply Saltgrass (never heard back from Dell support...).

It constantly failed over WiFi (fast connection, no other devices connected when I tried to update just in case) - all other security updates went on without issue. Purchased a USB to Ethernet adapter and connected it directly over our gigabit switch. Took about an hour including reboots and all now seems stable. I suspect the Killer WiFi may have been dropping the connection, need to investigate more when I have time.

Will also download the iso/USB install from MS just as a backup too.

Best wishes :)

No Events found!