Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2016 16:00

Bypass embedded product key for WIndows 10 upgrade

My boss purchased 4 Dell Inspiron 5559 laptops for us to use for our IT department.  They all came with Windows 10 Home, and of course, the embedded product keys on the hardware.  We need the professional version of Windows to join our domain, and we do not yet have Windows 10 VLK keys.  So we formatted the drives and installed our licensed Windows 7 Pro x64, and activated them.  When we try to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, the upgrade is detecting the Windows 10 Home embedded key, and not allowing us the option to install Windows 10 Pro.

I have tried the following ways:

Through Windows update (GWX update on the taskbar)

Through GWX on the Microsoft website (manual trigger)

Through the Media Creation tool, opting to install on the same computer

Through the Media Creation tool, creating bootable Windows 10 USB, that I know works, as I used in several other laptops without embdedded product keys.

The media you use to install is capable of installing both Windows 10 Home and Pro, since its just a change of the features through licensing, and no longer separate files.

I need to get these up to WIndows 10 Pro, and we are trying to avoid buying licenses, as there is still three months free upgrade to WIndows 10 from licensed systems.

Does anyone know of a way to bypass the embedded key, remove it completely, or get Windows 10 Pro to be chosen on the upgrade install?

• 

16.7K Posts

March 15th, 2016 08:00

fnsledge,

Since your system was shipped with Windows 10 Home. You will need to purchase a Windows 10 Pro activation key from the Microsoft Store. Click the link below for details.

Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

You cannot get it for free, legally

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

No Events found!