Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2015 12:00

Can't upgrade to Win 10. Win 8.1 Product Key invalid

I have run ProduKey and got the number. It is also embedded in the bios. I have an Inspiron 13z5323. Called MS and they said to contact Dell since it is their installation and they need to supply a correct Product Key or some other method of fixing the issue.

1.8K Posts

August 21st, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Why are you trying to pull the product key off the system?  Are you attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 without first doing the upgrade?   

If so, please read this post on Clean Install Requirements for Win10.  You need to do the upgrade first, which will then activate Windows 10 on the system.  After that you can then download the ISO from Microsoft and do a clean installation of Windows 10.   If, and only if, you did the upgrade path first then you won't need a product key for 8.1 when doing the clean install.  The installation process will pull it off the system if it has been previously upgraded.

If you're trying to pull the product key off the system for some other reason please advise.  But if it is to do a clean install of Win10 I don't know why the Microsoft rep wouldn't have explained the process to you, they designed it that way.

Todd

1 Message

August 29th, 2015 11:00

Hi, I am having problems also with W10 I upgraded when the laptop advise me to do so, but now won't activate. It keeps saying that the key is not correct. (default key from Dell) I have an Inspiron 15 7000 series (7537) and I recently upgraded the HD for a Samsung SSD ( I heard that might be the reason why I cannot activate windows, but I don't see that logical). I am not really sure what to do now... Thanks in advance for any idea. 

Regards

Francesc

No Events found!