Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 25th, 2016 04:00

Cannot adjust screen brightness on Dell laptop? Simple solution.

I have this issue on my Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series for very long time. I tried searching Google and Dell support community and I did:

Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel HD Graphics 5500 > Driver > Update Driver > Search Automatically.

It fixed.

18:35 on 25-Dec-2016: Sorry bro, I did as above; it fixed but when I try pressing the brightness button then It come back problem again: can not adjust the brightness. Hic hic

19:00 on 25 Dec 2016: I even try downloading and installing the latest Intel Graphic Driver (issued on July 2016), but just after a while, the screen comes back very dim.

I accidentally discover this: Setting --> Display --> uncheck the box "Adjust my screen brightness automatically".

Sorry, but stupid Windows!!!!

1 Message

August 1st, 2020 07:00

I had a problem that my screen was very dark when on battery, ie not plugged in   Despite exhaustive searching on microsoft, dell and throughout my computer, I was unable to find a slide bar that nearly every support blog says is there!  Finally, after nearly a year of frustration, my IT contractor told me to do the following:  immediately when powering on the computer, begin tapping the Fn F2 key.  Continue this for about 5-10 seconds until the screen shows up with a brightness bar that you can then adjust.  So simple, yet nowhere have I seen this posted.

Hope it helps others!  (Inspiron 5000 series)

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

March 10th, 2022 23:00

Video Related:

(edited)

1 Message

September 12th, 2019 20:00

Thanks, I had a similar problem (Latitude E6540, IPS display, stuck at brightest level) and reinstalling the driver in Device Manager solved the problem.

With regard to automatic brightness adjustment, I have also found that to be troublesome on a Windows laptop (HP, in my case).  The display would slew from bright to dim or vice versa in a few seconds, for no apparent reason.  It would be very frustrating to live with that for an extended period of time.

1 Message

November 26th, 2019 08:00

This worked for me! Dell Latitude E6540 and Nov, 2019. But updating the driver was the solution.
Thankss

1 Message

December 19th, 2019 20:00

i have dell inspiron 15 3584 , the brightness is at maximum level and i cannot adjust my screen brightness...

this happens after windows 10 1903 update and it still occurs after windows 10 1909 update too...

please me in solving this problem...

1 Message

January 10th, 2020 11:00

I had the same issue and the suggestion to update the driver under Device Manager didn't work for me (it would simply say the driver was up-to-date).  Installing Intel Graphics Command Center and adjusting the brightness from there worked (the brightness range goes from -60 to 100).  Also, I would recommend to install Dell's SupportAssist because it found newer updates to the graphics driver that a simple Windows update missed.

October 17th, 2020 04:00

If your using windows 10 go to search bar on desktop type in brightness then adjust it, the brightness control is in win 10 settings hope this helps

October 17th, 2020 05:00

On windows 10 go to search bar (bottom left) type in brightness and adjust, setting for brightness is in windows settings.

October 18th, 2020 02:00

If on windows 10 go to search bar (bottom left) type in brightness adjust the slider hope this helps.

1 Message

February 24th, 2021 17:00

Letting it auto-update driver did nothing for me. 

My brightness buttons worked fine. But then recently, either the Dell or Windows auto-updates caused it to stop working. 

1 Message

March 19th, 2021 21:00

Wow thank you so much. This is final, i recomend all pple that come here should do this

4 Posts

February 17th, 2022 10:00

if you read the initial problem, you would know that this is not a solution. brightness set at highest point and still too dim

No Events found!