Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2016 04:00

Clean installation of Windows 10 stuck on formatting partition [Inspiron 5558]

I am trying to do clean installation of windows 10 on my dell Inspiron 15 5558 laptop.  However, during partition formatting step, windows 10 setup stuck and do not proceed. If I do not select the disk format step  and move with windows installation then it windows setup in "file copying" step.

I am using usb as installation media and booting it in UEFI mode.

I tried with secure boot option enable/disable and did not see any difference. I have tried two different bios version "A09" and "A13" and experienced the same problem .

I have feeling that something in firmware is preventing windows setup to modify the drive where I want to install the clean copy of windows. I have tried the installation in so many configuration and did not work. I tried to boot the usb in legacy mode but later during installation step, setup complains that drive has GPT configuration and cannot continue with installation.

Somehow, I cannot restore the computer to factory settings because I upgraded to windows 10 and did not create the recovery disk.

I would like to know that did anyone already experience this kind of problem. How can I approach the dell because my warranty expired 2 months back.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated. 

Best Regards

AC

• 

17K Posts

November 15th, 2016 05:00

Achaudhary,

Click the link below to watch the youtube video on how to format and install Windows 10 on your computer.

How to Format and Install Windows 10

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 15th, 2016 13:00

You do not format manually. Select a Custom Install after booting to the install media and delete the partition with Windows. Then windows 10 will automatically format and install on the unallocated partition. Be aware-- All your files and added programs will have to be reinstalled. Copying files means win 10 is reinstalling over windows, not clean installing.

One thing about the You tube video--most newer computers do not allow or need bios changes. Instead-- Use the boot menu accessed by tapping F12 as soon as you reboot without waiting for any screen to boot to the install drive.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 15th, 2016 15:00

First run F12 Dell Preboot diagnostics so we can verify the HDD/SSD is okay. Then follow this guide to clean install:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr 

Video 12 is preboot diagnostics. Video 2, 4 and 5 are relevent for clean Windows 10 RS1 installaiton on a Dell Home Model. Written instructions are here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 21st, 2016 08:00

I am writing this post to share my experiences while trying to perform the clean installation of WIndows 10 on Inspiron 15 5558. I tried to perform the clean installation of windows using three listed approaches:

1- using bootable usb

2- using bootable dvd

3- using bootable copy of windows on different partition on same disk

In every approach windows 10 installation stuck  on following steps;

1- Partition selection for windows installation

2- Disk formatting after selection of partition

3- Getting file ready for installation Step

First two problems addressed by removing the usb drive from computer. However, "Getting file ready for installation" step was not progressed. Once it progressed when I removed the usb just beginning of step and put it back immediately but that installation attempt stuck later.

In the end, I copied the windows 8.1 factory backup from dell website and installed the windows 8.1 without any problem. After installation, I upgraded to windows 10.

Another thing: I tried "chkdsk" and dell through diagnostic test and both tests were passed.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 15th, 2016 15:00

I created three partitions after setting up laptop last year. Now I want to do clean installation on the drive where old windows was installed. Windows setup stuck when I press next button after partition selection for windows.

I am following all approached mentioned on different links and windows but not helping. It seems to me that I have to remove everything from disk and create the partitions manfully on a different computer.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 16th, 2016 11:00

Today, I removed all partition by using another laptop. I quick formatted the hard drive and then ran the clean command without problem on other laptop. However, when I connected the hard drive again on original laptop and started the Windows setup, it stuck on setup starting page and now I am not getting page for partition selection for windows installation. I am pretty much confident that hard drive is healthy. I have believe that there is some issue in the firmware which is not allowing me to install windows.

Side note: when I try to start diskpart command by pressing shift+ctrl+F10, I get command prompt window but when I enter the command then do not get any response.

December 27th, 2016 05:00

we have the same problem

1 Message

January 23rd, 2017 10:00

Thanks for following up with the solution. I've been having the exact same issue while trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my Inspiron 13 7352, BIOS version "A04" then "A09".

I wish Dell would update their BIOS to be compatible with a clean installation of Windows 10.

January 27th, 2017 23:00

Thanks a lt sir

Thanks sir

Thanks sir

F12 is not working.so my laptop always show me    To Filling           .password.  type of system or administrator password. Help me please how to do it sir!

My laptop can't open to boot setting Only show to add password.how can i go on please .Every i starting and pressing always f2   f12. It's not nothing affect only show  He need         PASSWORD    TYPE OF SYSTEM    OR   ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD .PLEASE ADVICE AGAIN Sis!!!!

Thanks you sir

1 Message

November 23rd, 2019 10:00

So tired of short answers like these on websites, what you link us to i have already tried multiple times.. I am stuck where i click unallocated drive and click next and when i stop the installation and plug the ssd into my other computer it shows it made one partition but never got any further. Ive tried waiting it out and what feels like everything else, never had this much trouble trying to get windows installed.

No Events found!