Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

July 13th, 2017 07:00

Cloning my windows 10 for new ssd

My laptop is a Dell 14 7460, it comes with dual drive (128gb M.2 SSD and a 500 gb HDD). Now Im planning to replace the 128 gb with a samsung evo m.2 ssd. Here's my question:

Is it possible to just clone my OS (which is installed in my 128gb ssd) to the HDD. Use that as my temporary boot drive, replace the 128 gb ssd with the new one, and then clone the OS from the HDD back to the new ssd? I dont have the enclosure, that's why I am asking, thank you for the replies. :)

• 

16.7K Posts

July 13th, 2017 08:00

vonkcire.

In theory yes. But Dell does not sell a cloning software.

Learn How to Clone Dell Laptop Hard Drive to SSD with Secure Boot in Windows

5 Posts

July 14th, 2017 07:00

That's alright, Easeus offers free trial for their software for cloning. I could use that to clone from the old SSD to the HDD, then use samsung's cloning software which comes free when you buy a samsung evo, to clone back FROM HDD to the new SSD.

Thankful for the dual boot drive. Thank you Jesse

4 Posts

July 16th, 2017 02:00

Here is the steps you can take in order to have all your windows and contents onto the other drive.

This a Tutorial after that i cloned my HDD to the SSD

hope it helps

https://youtu.be/_9h0i3WEOkE

If you have any question dont hesitate

3 Posts

July 18th, 2017 21:00

It has no need to be so complex. You can directly clone your OS from the old SSD to the new one. I know you are worry about the boot matter. Let's think, you just insert your new SSD and boot from original SSD. Then, clone the system from the original SSD to new SSD (www.aomeitech.com/.../migrate-os-to-ssd-1234.html) using a software. Next, turn off the machine, replace the original SSD with the new one and boot from the new SSD.

5 Posts

July 18th, 2017 23:00

@dai1 - I only have one M.2 slot available, and that's where my old ssd is.

@Vtube - Thank you :)

1 Message

July 15th, 2018 03:00

Did it work fine?

I want to do the same thing here.

September 13th, 2018 09:00

is it Work? Can i clone Window 10 without losing any auto recover system setting on the Harddisk. after clone the window 10. how to Reformat the old harddisk for save data...  

23 Posts

May 2nd, 2020 03:00

Hi all, I cloned my hard drive with a new Western Digital SSD Nand drive. My computer is a Inspiron 15R which originaly came with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 online. I decided my hard drive was nearly 5 years old & didn't want a crash. I bought a cable from Amazon & downloaded Macrium Reflect, free software for home use to clone the new SSD. I connected the cable to the new SS drive via the cable & pluged the other end to a USB socket. I started Macrium Reflect to read my hard drive then dragged the drive icon to the new SS drive. It took a couple of hours.I then unplugged the internal hard drive & connected the new SS drive. Works a treat!

Boots up in seconds now rather than minutes. Once you have SSD you won't want a hard drive.

No Events found!