Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 20th, 2018 17:00

Dell Canvas 27 issues after creator update

Is anyone else having issues with certain drawing programs after Windows 10 update 1709?

I use Manga Studio for pencil and inkwork, and after this update, fine line stability becomes a serious issue in any creativity program not designed specifically for Windows 10. Drawing a straight line is impossible in 1709, slow or fast. Photoshop, Illustrator, and Manga Studio are simply broken with this installed, and any of that inkspace **bleep** (which works just fine) isn't going to cut the mustard unless you're a wealthy doodler.

I understand it can be uninstalled. I've done it. Fixes the issue instantly, but there's always a prompt to reinstall it, until it eventually installs again for you. I'm used to Microsoft updates breaking devices constantly, and no one batting an eye about it. Bigger picture though: this issue needs to be addressed by Dell, just in case Microsoft makes this update mandatory in the future. Even if not a lot of people adopted the device, $2k is a lot of cash to plunk down on a graphics device.

I'm assuming most artists in my field have opted for a wacom device rather than giving the Canvas a chance because there is zero buzz online over this issue, and none of my peers own one?

1 Message

January 27th, 2018 11:00

Is your firmware on your canvas updated?  I have the 1709 windows 10 update and the canvas will not respond to touch and the pen doesn't work at all.  Dell sent me a new device and told me I should not update anything as it should be plug and play, but again, pen and touch does not work.  They offered to send me a 3rd device which I think will just not work again.   Do you know what might be causing this problem? 

January 30th, 2018 05:00

...I know i sound like a broken record on the Wacom comment, but I've never had an issue like this with a cintiq. Apologies.

January 30th, 2018 05:00

Yes, my firmware is updated. I don't get it.

At first, mine wouldn't find a firmware update through the Canvas Installer software. I assumed it was up to date and let the creator update install after about a week of flawless use.

Only after the windows update borked my expensive software's interactivity, and I uninstalled it, did the firmware upgrade show up as an option. Thinking this would solve the issue, I installed the creator update again, and nothing changed.

...Should've spent the extra scratch on a 27qhd touch and downgraded to Windows 7, because Dell isn't handling it. The pre Windows 10 creativity software like Photoshop is way to expensive to just have to upgrade for the sake of a device.

February 1st, 2018 02:00

My Canvas worked great until it didn't (about 3 months).  At this point pen is working, but touch does not work until about 30 minutes after the unit boots up.  Then, for no apparent reason, it starts to work.  I've tried rolling back to previous backups, but the problem persists.  Dell is sending a new unit, but I am fairly certain that it is a windows update/driver issue.

April 27th, 2018 13:00

is there any solution now for this problem? got my canvas and new computer this week and im trying the whole day to get this thing to work. no touch, no pen.... :(

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 30th, 2018 03:00

@Mister Melonewrote:

is there any solution now for this problem? got my canvas and new computer this week and im trying the whole day to get this thing to work. no touch, no pen.... :(

Hi Mister Melone, 

Have you ran through the Canvas Application installer and setup as per the following link -
http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/dell-canvas-kv2718d_faq_en-us.pdf

Alan

9 Posts

June 5th, 2018 22:00

Created a Canvas user group here.  Hope DELL Canvas comes out with a new pen!

https://www.facebook.com/dellcanvas

April 11th, 2022 18:00

I am also having this issue, I have a very nicely built Dell Canvas that is essentially a 27-inch monitor for 2K.  none of the tablet features work anymore and I have uninstalled and re-installed all the drivers to no avail.  There is nothing on Youtube or Google about this and I'm stuck with a very expensive misfortune.  I would love for Dell to step up and give us consumers some love and help us get our tablet back in working order.  Please Dell give us some guidance, the firmware update does nothing and the Pen driver update does nothing, Windows does not see the hardware like a tablet at all anymore.

April 11th, 2022 18:00

Yes, Sir did this 3 separate times.  No joy!

5 Posts

April 11th, 2022 22:00

My Canvas worked great until it didn't (about 3 months).  At this point pen is working, but touch does not work until about 30 minutes after the unit boots up.  Then, for no apparent reason, it starts to work.  I've tried rolling back to previous backups, but the problem persists.  Dell is sending a new unit, but I am fairly certain that it is a windows update/driver issue.

• 

25.7K Posts

April 11th, 2022 22:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

No Events found!