Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2021 21:00

DPM update error 1720, CPU 100°C, solved

Hi, 

I have been having issues with my Dell XPS 9570 running its fans near constantly. Running HWInfo showed that the CPU was getting to 100°C. I added an external fan tray which is helping, but the problem is that this was never an issue.  A Dell tech came out and replaced the motherboard, thermal paste, processor, and fans without any noticeable difference.   

I read that there are more options to better control the fans and such in the DPM (Dell Power Manager), but when I go there to update it, I get error 1720 repeatedly.  

JFA19701_1-1619669848007.png

I've followed just about every link from Microsoft and others that I could find online performing their suggestions but have had no success. When I dig into it, it indicates a problem with communicating with the Distributed Transaction Coordinator (see screenshot below of Component Services)

JFA19701_0-1619669791615.png

The event viewer has a bunch of errors related to the DPM update and all say "The Transaction Manager is not available. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8004D01B)"

JFA19701_2-1619670007878.png

I did see somewhere that my .NET might be the incorrect version, but I'm running the latest Windows 10 release and my .NET version is and it is 4.8.04084:

JFA19701_3-1619670286899.png

The Microsoft Store says I need .NET 4.6.1, but I am unable to install that because it is already newer.

JFA19701_4-1619670382278.png

Here was an attempt at installing .NET 4.6.1 just to try:

JFA19701_5-1619670408050.png

So, anyone got any ideas on how I can solve this problem? I haven't encountered it for any other applications and the computer is running fine otherwise. Also, yes, I did disable Antivirus and Firewall etc which didn't make any difference.  

Your help is appreciated!

10 Posts

April 30th, 2021 23:00

Okay, all remaining software reinstalled without any additional issue.  To close this out let's recap this incident in case some other person encounters the same issue as me (TLDR see step 8).

1) I wanted to use DPM (Dell Power Manager) because my computer's fans were going crazy and I couldn't control them.

2) Unfortunately, I got an error 1720 any time I did anything with DPM.  There are countless articles on the internet and I'm fairly confident i tried them all (at least the first 4 pages on google search), without success.  

3) I decided to reach out to Dell.  For good measure I updated all my firmware prior to attempt to use so I was up to date.  I was also up to date on Windows updates because I was convinced this was a software or firmware issue (suddenly) causing my fans to go awry because the computer rarely moves from the same position on my desk. Upon my initial query to Dell on this topic they chose to send a hardware tech out to replace the fans, motherboard, thermal paste and processors.  While he did a good job, he had no software experience and the problem persisted through all of this. 

4) I redoubled my efforts at researching possible causes and decided to create this post.  Everything seems to point to a problem with COM+ and the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC) having a communication problem.  

5) Dell private messaged me and said "something is corrupt, reinstall Windows" even after I pleaded for a more surgical option instead of the Dell Tech Support Standard Sledgehammer Solution (TM).  Much to my annoyance, I performed the OS reinstall.  The problem did go away upon reinstall, but as I was installing my applications, the problem returned.  Unfortunately I did not know which app was to blame as I didn't track it so....

6) I initiated a system restore point back to just after the reinstall of Windows and started again, this time testing the COM+/MSDTC after every action I did and creating restore points after every step.  

7) The problem manifested itself after I installed (from the Microsoft Store) the "HP Smart" app for my HP Officejet 9010 Multifunction Printer/Scanner/Copier.

Armed with this specific information, I found an article eluding to HP software having a very similar problem and same error message on an HP Laptop which indicated there was an HP service that they disabled to make this problem go away.  I found the "HP Print Scan Doctor Service" and disabled it.  The COM+/MSDTC communication issue immediately went away.

I am now able to use the full functionality of DPM to help control my fans, and wouldn't you know it, the fan speed is low and the temperature of the CPU is averaging around 45°C which is WAY better than the fans running at full blast constantly and running at 100°C.  Amazing how software can cause thermal issues like this! I just wish I hadn't needed to reinstall Windows to get to the bottom of this.  I hope this helps someone out in the future!

JFA19701_0-1619850999362.png

10 Posts

April 29th, 2021 18:00

Dell reached out to me privately and basically said, 'sounds like something is corrupt, you should reinstall windows.' After I asked for more surgical options they wouldn't provide one.  Since I literally had tried every step I could find online without success, I decided to reinstall windows. 

The reinstall fixed the problem.... Now I just need to reinstall every app and patch on my computer...ugh.  Fortunately I did not need to do a full reformat do my data was left intact. 

I am continuing to test the com+ functionality in Component Services as I reinstall things to see if I can identify a smoking gun in case it reoccurs.  if I find one I'll post it here for your benefit.  At this point I'm up to date on windows patches and installed 20H2 without an incident.

10 Posts

April 30th, 2021 18:00

So the COM+ / MSDTC communication problem came back after I finished reinstalling all my apps last night....

According to the event logs, i'm now getting a 10060 event id that basically said that there is an unavailable SID.  That unavailable SID appears to be attributed to the TrustedInstaller user which appeared to be deleted...so it will be interesting to see what is actually causing that. 

I used a system restore point to get me back to where I was at the end of my last post and now I'm going to install, test, and create a restore point if successful after each app installation to see which one is definitively doing it. 

More to come. 

---

Example of one of the events observed:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WscCloudBackupProvider
and APPID
Unavailable
to the user DESKTOP-BBV387A\jon SID (S-1-5-21-3012275385-297951674-1314672055-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

10 Posts

April 30th, 2021 22:00

Follow up on this. I have been installing based upon the methodology outlined previously.

The COM+ / MSDTC incident occurred immediately following the installation of HP Smart printer/scanner software for my HP Officejet 9010.  

From reading the linked page, I inferred that there must be an HP service running that is causing this issue, even though this page references an HP laptop.

As a result, I located a service called "HP Print Scan Doctor Service" which I disabled, and the COM+ / MSDTC issue immediately resolved itself. The printer/scanner seems to be working so I'm gonna just leave it off.

For good measure I am going to continue to finish my installation of other apps to see if there is anything else that causes an issue, and I'll continue to post here. 

2 Posts

May 7th, 2021 10:00

Hi,

It was absolutely this issue with HP in this case. I am so thankful to have you with this case already online.

Have a good time.

BR,

VP

May 21st, 2021 06:00

No idea, but this error still exist and it is getting fixed by stopping the service.

I appreciate your solution, this article really helps.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2021 09:00

I had this exact error on my XPS 17 9700 and your solution fixed it! I am so greatful that you put in the time to post this solution. I searched for "HP Print Scan Doctor Service" in my services (TaskManger -> Services -> Open Services) and just deactivated it. Following this the installer worked perfectly.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2021 07:00

Thank you. Hp Doctor Service was the problem.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2021 11:00

Thank you for your post.

I had the exact same issue and your solution worked for me as well. I'm just a bit annoyed this is issue is showing up just a couple of weeks before my warranty expires. I wonder where it originated considering that I don't remember having updated anything from HP.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2021 17:00

Thank you!!! I have the same issue

1 Message

May 23rd, 2021 22:00

It works! Thanks so much!

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2021 22:00

THANKS!

You just saved me a lot of hours and a reinstall of my OS.

What a hero.

2 Posts

May 24th, 2021 16:00

I have a correction. I tried the steps and it allowed me to change the settings in Dell Power Manager that I could not before. However, even with the new settings the temperatures are still too high. In optimized, my system runs with all cores almost constantly at 100 C

10 Posts

May 24th, 2021 17:00

You may need to add thermal paste, or you may have a bad fan.  Glad the com issue is resolved.

1 Message

May 25th, 2021 09:00

thanks so much. by disabling the hp doctor service I could update it finally. 

No Events found!