Highlighted
Letoria
1 Nickel

Factory restore/reset will not complete

I'm trying to reset/restore my Inspiron all-in-one running Windows 10 while saving my personal files. It gets to 22% complete and stops. The only details I get says "Unable to reset you PC. No files have been changed"

What is going on and how can I do the reset

0 Kudos
13 Replies
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

RE: Factory restore/reset will not complete

I'm assuming you're trying to reset from Update & Security(Recovery/Reset This PC)? If yes, I'd suggest you try from Advanced Startup. Please go back to Update & Security,click on Recovery, and then Advanced Startup( Restart now). Stroll down to Troubleshoot, click on it, and then Reset this PC.

0 Kudos
Anyar
1 Copper

I’m a frequent Dell customer, and I’m also having problems resetting my Mom’s Inspiron 15R 5520.  Ran into slight problems upgrading to Windows 10 via a Windows update in March, but the real problem began today when I tried to disable Mom’s Microsoft Live account because she felt it was annoying.  All things possible then went haywire – on all Admin accounts, the Left-Click Start stopped working, the Taskbar and Task Tray Icons became disabled, Admin user accounts can no longer be managed, and access has been restricted to the C:\drive.  Booted into Safe Mode to do a factory reset.  Went to Troubleshooting > Advanced Options and tried every possible option there is for Reset and Restore.  Each ended with “A Problem was detected”.  No disc was received from Dell at purchase, so I’m unable to do a manual reset, and contacting Dell supported won’t help because I don't believe they can even remote into the laptop.  Tried running Powershell to repair the Start Left-Click, and many command at the CMD prompt seem to be missing, e.g., 'ms-settings'.

Any help or direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated.  This laptop was purchased for my 83 y/o Mom as a birthday present a couple of years ago, and has rarely ever been used (~ 4-5x).  Her heart is broken!

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

It also a possibility the old windows folder could be causing problems with the Reset option. I'd suggest you check Storage settings for old windows folder and consider removing it. Please click on link below:

How to delete old windows in windows 10

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+delete+old+windows+in+windows+10&form=PRUSEN&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=1c0b85096168469d91d5768101317074&qs=AS&pq=how+to+delete+old+windows+&sk=AS1&sc=8-26&sp=2&cvid=1c0b85096168469d91d5768101317074

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

0 Kudos
Letoria
1 Nickel

I doubt it's option 2 -- The computer came with W-10 as the o/s -- I had to upgrade my old laptop from W-8.1 to W-10, but not this one. I'm going to try Suggestion 1 later tonight just before I shut down for the night. Hopefully it'll work and fix the underlying issue leading to the need for a reset. I'll post an update when the process finishes playing out.

0 Kudos
Letoria
1 Nickel

Nothing works. I discovered a fix though -- get rid of Windows in favor of Linux, or cut your losses and buy a Mac. Windows owns your PC, not you.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

I'm sorry the suggestions didn't help....

I have one more suggestion, download Dell Windows Recovery Image from the link below. Hopefully it will help. Good luck.

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

By the way, please list Dell model number for Dell reps and others to see and perhaps help resolve your problem. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543

0 Kudos