Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

July 23rd, 2019 12:00

Find Dell Dock Firmware Through Windows 10?

I have created a Dell Dock Firmware Update application in Microsoft SCCM, so that users who are having issues with their docks or have had their docks replaced can see if an update fixes their issue.

However, I am having a hard time finding a good detection method to test what version of the firmware is on the dock that is currently connected. We tried having the update run and then using a PS script to search for the firmware version in the update.log file that appears. However, running the firmware update every time detection initiates would be a problematic because of the Windows notifications that it generates.

Is there anything through Windows or Dell that I can use to check the firmware of the currently connected dock and pass that info to a query?

1 Message

September 30th, 2019 14:00

This support article may be helpful - Windows: How to identify your Dell Docking station using PowerShell - https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln316207/windows-how-to-identify-your-dell-docking-station-using-powershell?lang=en

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 1st, 2019 10:00

Steps to identify your Dell Dock

Note: Please be aware that creating PowerShell scripts and Cmdlets are outside of the scope of  Dell Technical Support. The information below is supplied on the basis that you understand how PowerShell works and understand that this isn't something supported under Dell's warranty.

1. Install the Dell System Inventory Agent (DSIA)

1. Download the latest DellSDPCatalogPC.cab file from our Downloads site:

2. Using an Extractor application such as WinZip, open the .Cab file, but don't extract all of the contents of the file

3. Extract DellSDPCatalogPC.xml from the .cab file to your desktop

4. Open DellSPDCatalogPC.xml with a text editor application

5. Either search or scroll down the file for the DSIA entry

6. Identify the DSIA URL from the file (i.e. DSIAPC 1.6.5.3.msi)

7. Use that link to download the latest version of DSIA to your PC

8. Double click on the downloaded file and follow the onscreen instructions

2. Open PowerShell and type the following WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) command, followed by hitting the enter key to obtain the system inventory:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> gwmi -n root\dell\sysinv dell_softwareidentity | select versionstring, elementname |sort elementname
  3. You are looking to identify something similar to the example shown below from the inventory list:

0001.0000.0006.0000 Dell Docking Station - WD15 Firmware
No Events found!