Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

July 6th, 2017 16:00

How do I upgrade my OS from win10 home to win10 pro?

I would like to upgrade my OS from win10 home to win10 pro. As my pc is still under warranty I assume that I have to go through Dell to do this. 

I have tried Sales who referred me to Tech Support, who the referred me back to Sales!!

All I need to know is can I do this, where do I download the key/installer and how much is it?

Any ideas?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 7th, 2017 08:00

Normally, you go to the Microsoft store and purchase an upgrade license.  The upgrade is not a new install, but an upgrade from within Win 10.

After that is done, you will have a License registered for the Pro version and from then on you will be able to do a clean install of the Pro version.

Once you do that, the Dell recovery options may not work correctly, but I haven't actually tried it.  I have use the Win 10 recovery drive to go back to factory specs.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 8th, 2017 14:00

You can go to the System page in Settings and select About. Use the link to Upgrade your edition of windows. You will have to purchase a license. Dell does not have anything to do with this and your warranty will still be valid since only the hardware is under warranty, not the software. Think about spending the money ($100 for the upgrade) just to get a few extra features you might not need--join a domain, group policy editor, a few of other business features. It might not be needed if you are a home user. See this-- www.pcworld.com/.../who-needs-windows-10-pro-5-reasons-to-upgrade.html

July 9th, 2017 05:00

Thanks for the responses. I know that this is going to cost me but I need the pro OS to run a particular 3D modelling program which for some reason wont work with home!

No Events found!