Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

July 30th, 2015 10:00

I want to install WIndows 10 from ground zero

I want to install Windows 10 from ground zero. Microsoft "upgrades" have never worked and probably never will. I do not want to upgrade. I want to install Windows 10 to a base hard drive. No one seems to want to address this issue.

It is a new OptiPlex 3020. Purchased with Windows 8.1 Professional. What to I need to install Windows 10 from ground zero or is it even possible?

1.8K Posts

July 30th, 2015 15:00

Hello,

It is possible.   You would need to download the ISO file from Microsoft and follow their directions on how to do the install.  Microsoft is handling support for Windows 10 upgrades and installs, so it's not something that Dell Tech Support can help you complete.  

There are quite a few articles on various websites about how to do the ISO clean install so you shouldn't have trouble finding helpful content.

Todd

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

July 30th, 2015 17:00

You may need to upgrade to Win 10 on the existing HDD. Then swap that drive for the new SSD and use the ISO or a recovery disk to install it there.

I've seen claims you may lose your "base license" if you try to install directly onto a new (blank) drive, because Win 10 won't know that you have a legal copy of your current OS and are entitled to the free upgrade. And that means Win 10 won't get activated if you install directly on a new SSD.

Sounds convoluted...

1.8K Posts

July 30th, 2015 20:00

Ron is absolutely correct.   It sounds weird but I'm on the Microsoft forums right now researching another issue and I found a post from one of their moderators stating that you need to do the free upgrade and make sure your PC is activated, then download the media and do a clean install.    Skip entering the product key during Win10 setup as Win10 will automatically activate online on the device.  

Todd

21 Posts

July 30th, 2015 21:00

Exactly, do the silly upgrade, make sure your copy is activated.  Use the media creation tool, select other PC, put it on a usb.  reboot making sure it boots from the usb.  You may have to hit F12 or delete on boot to select boot from usb.  the setup runs.  when you get the the part where it shows all your partitions, i had 6, delete them ALL.  hit next.  that is a CLEAN install

I forgot, skip anywhere that asks for a key, don't enter anything.  It will auto activate since you did the upgrade earlier.

then come back here when you find drivers missing

don't complain about missing drivers unless your system is on this list:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19643472

1 Rookie

• 

25 Posts

July 31st, 2015 12:00

Yep. Let's make this simple shall we? I have nothing better to do with my life than install and re-install Windows. It is a free upgrade as long as you upgrade. Bare metal not allowed. How stupid is that?

I have this Optiplex 3020 running under a full activated 8.1 and still can't get the upgrade to work. Great error. "Something Happened. Windows 10 installation has failed" and that is exactly how it is worded.

Yippe Kiya!

21 Posts

July 31st, 2015 13:00

I got mine upgraded then clean installed.  It crashes on reboot about half the time.  The reboot crashing was the same with the upgrade as the clean install.  This is a Dell laptop that is "windows 10 certified", heh

July 31st, 2015 23:00

I as well hate inplace upgrades.  I figured i would run into problems that I had back when Windows 8 became windows 8.1 (serial keys for 8 would not activate 8.1).  So anticipating this, I did the following to get my clean install of Windows 10 on my XPS 9530..

(ALWAYS have a backup of your data before doing upgrades)

1.  Complete the inplace upgrade to Windows 10 using the Microsoft provided tools here and select upgrade this pc.

2.  Once you have upgraded to Windows 10, make sure the current OS is activated

3.  Extract your Windows Key via a third party tool like "ProduKey.  You should see 3 keys, one for Internet Explorer, One for your Bios (if your current system supports it) and one for Windows 10.  Copy each one down (i have no idea why you would need the Internet Explorer one but why not...)

4.  Go back to the Microsoft link provided in step 1 and select "Create installation media for another pc".  Make sure you download the Edition that matches your key from step 3.  

5.  Select ISO file because you can reference the ISO at a later date if need be. 

6.  Once the ISO is downloaded, you can use your favorite tool to burn it to a USB or DVD.  (I used the Windows USB/DVD tool)

Cheers!!

1.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 10:00

Yep. Let's make this simple shall we? I have nothing better to do with my life than install and re-install Windows. It is a free upgrade as long as you upgrade. Bare metal not allowed. How stupid is that?

I have this Optiplex 3020 running under a full activated 8.1 and still can't get the upgrade to work. Great error. "Something Happened. Windows 10 installation has failed" and that is exactly how it is worded.

Yippe Kiya!

Hi,

Were you able to get your Windows 10 upgrade to install?  From what I'm seeing about the generic error you're seeing is it might be because of items that are attached to, or plugged into, the system.  Such as external drives, USB flash drives, etc.  Do you have any of those plugged in?

Todd

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 16:00

I warned about this on the Windows Insider Program and on Microsoft Answers and in Windows Uservoice:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/the-free-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-windows-7-oem/b622ef33-ac69-4ca1-b7d1-9aa08321809f

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7236772-windows-7-oem-to-windows-10-retail

Despite the popularity of this idea on Windows Uservoice (being the most highly voted idea under "Install, Update and Activate" and the fact that my website dedicated to Windows Reinstallation has 5  million views, Microsoft did not address these issues or even respond back.

Moreover the activation mechanism that's device based isn't explained very well anywhere. It took me a long time to piece things together to write an understandable guide and a lot of testing in the Windows Insider Program and RTM release.

Unfortunately an upgrade then Clean Reinstall is convoluted but the best way to proceed. On the plus note the necessary workaround I found due to attempts at addressing their flawed deployment mechanism allows Vista and XP users to upgrade for free for the next 2 months... That's via the use of the 10130 .iso...

No Events found!