Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 14z (N411Z) problem with resume from sleep mode [SOLVED]

Notebook: DELL Inspiron 14z (N411Z)

I've had this problem after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7. The PC seems to run Windows 10 fine, although this OS is not officially supported by DELL.

However, I had this annoying problem when trying to resume from sleep mode (note sleep/standby mode, not hibernate). For those who are having the same issue, I felt to share my experience and how I temporarily solved the problem.

The issue occurs whenever the PC is being resumed from sleep mode (by reopening the lid, or striking the power button to resume from sleep). At this point the fan starts spinning again but the display remains black and the CPU seems to be working very hard. The only way to recover is to keep the power button pressed until the computer shuts down.

I tried many things (as suggested in other forums):

• disable fast startup --> doesn't help
  • uninstall/downgrade intel hd graphics --> doesn't help
  • uninstall usb 3.0 software --> doesn't help
  • uninstal intel management engine stuff --> doesn't help

Finally, I uninstalled the Synaptic touchpad software from the Control Panel (Programs and Features) and uninstalled the synaptic touchpad device in the Device Manager. After restart the touchpad runs on a Microsoft generic driver (PS/2 Compatible Mouse, date 21-6-2006, version 10.0.15063.0) and therefore has limited functionality (no scroll, no gestures), but the sleep/resume functionality will magically work! (at least in my case it did)

I'll try to install several versions of the synaptic touchpad driver, and see if I can find one that works well with the sleep mode.

I hope other people will find this post useful.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 12th, 2017 13:00

This is why your model is not supported by Dell. There are no Dell drivers available for windows 10. Laptops need Dell customized drivers to work well. However--Win 10 has a wider selection of drivers than previous windows and allowing Device Manager to search for drivers might help. You might try that and see if works for you. Although be warned that N model laptops work best with older windows. You will always have problems and shortcomings with win 10.

No Events found!