Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2015 10:00

Inspiron 14z upgrade to Windows 10 - device issues

In the newly deployed GetWindows10 app, there's an option to "Check your PC" - when I choose this option on my Inspiron 14z, I get:

Windows 10 will work on this PC

This PC can be upgraded but there may be some issues.

Devices

These devices aren't fully compatible with Windows 10

AMD Radeon HD 7570M (with a bluetooth icon beside it??)

You'll experience problems with your display

These devices might not work correctly after the upgrade

Bluetooth Server (with the same bluetooth icon)

Intel Corporation

I'm not inclined to upgrade if it's going to result in problems either with my bluetooth OR my display. Any change that Dell will release updated drivers to address these issues? Other options?

• 

16.7K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 11:00

JohnWheelr                                                                                     

Unfortunately, we have not received any list of systems that Dell will be making drivers for the hardware installed.

August 20th, 2015 14:00

Since John hasn't returned, I'll give some performance updates.

The N411Z runs Windows 10, but seems to struggle.  Load times are increased over Windows 7 as far as I can tell.  Start-up and booting from idle seem to struggle.

Also, about a week after installation of W10, my display started acting up.  It look as if I had broken my display.  Fuzzy lines and breaks in the screen and loss of color were all symptoms.  A quick reset (while I still could) seemed to help.  But it still blips sometimes.  The display seems to be in limbo.  Would love an updated driver or fix for this.  Scared the *** out of me the first time.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 7th, 2015 10:00

FYI, as of today, the "Check your PC" option reports 0 known issues; I presume the feedback from the initial checks resulted in an update distributed via Windows Update and that it was a false positive to start with...

Yes see some details here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/is-my-graphics-display-or-bluetooth-device/8583e674-b5bd-4f87-ba46-8944c03a5f85

2 Posts

June 7th, 2015 10:00

FYI, as of today, the "Check your PC" option reports 0 known issues; I presume the feedback from the initial checks resulted in an update distributed via Windows Update and that it was a false positive to start with...

Possibly fixed with KB2976978 which was installed yesterday

11 Posts

June 21st, 2015 07:00

Hi John, can you please update your forum-post with details on your ongoing experience with Windows 10 experience, problems and detailed upgrade-steps.

I am sure there are many 14z n411z owners, who are contemplating an upgrade.

Upgrade Steps (some suggested details of many):

• Detailed steps will help
  • Did Windows 10 do a complete reformat of the drive
  • Did you have to remove your data (yes data backup is always safe and recommended)
  • How long did the upgrade take in terms of download and time
  • Since there are many 14z variants, your laptop high level specification will help others

Ongoing Experience

• Post upgrade what is the performance and efficiency levels of Windows 10
  • Any degradation in hardware or software performance
  • Are there any driver issues
  • Are there any software or apps issues

Thanks in advance, if you can do this.

11 Posts

August 20th, 2015 22:00

Hi Therisingippo, I had a similar display problem with my 14z n411z (Intel chipset).  I zeroed it to a corrupted display driver and reverted to native Windows 7 driver and it worked fine, not the best rendering, since it was not HD.  Later, I reinstall Dell drivers and it was back to normal.

I assume/guess, the same would apply to Windows 10.

Elsewhere on Dell-Forums in another thread, I have a posting about my display problem (win 7) with screen shots.  If you wish to research it further.

It would be helpful if others post their Windows 10 experience.  Also list their high level laptop configuration.

219 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 18:00

for Dell 14z laptops that have AMD Radeon HD graphics, get the latest Win10 x64 driver directly from the AMD web site instead of from Dell.

and for Dell N411z laptops that use Intel HD 2000/3000 Graphics (I think they're the Sandy Bridge series), get them from either Windows Update or Microsoft Update Catalog as Intel will not release Win10 specific drivers for those series of graphics adapters on the Intel web site.

also can anybody check if the existing Conexant audio drivers (win7 or win8 versions) on the N411z work on Windows 10?

April 23rd, 2016 14:00

Update my computer with a further windows 10 update today and now Iam getting Error code 2000-0146. The computer was working okay till yesterday.

1 Message

May 24th, 2016 20:00

In March, I finished upgrading my Inspiron 14Z from Win 7 to Win 10, and the display kept blinking at different intervals, and then it would just go weird (shrink to the left...kind of scrambled...color all whacked out...right 20% of the screen with narrow yellow, red, and black horizontal bands)  and still be sort of readable, but not usable.  If I  reduced the number of open windows/browser tabs, it would be OK for a little while, but the weirdness kept returning.  I could get the display to return to normal by also minimizing all windows (Windows Key + D) and then waiting 20 seconds or so.

I first tried changing the screen resolution from the factory recommended 1366 x 768 to a couple of other sizes, none of which solved the problem.  It was still 'blinking' and getting weird after a short while.

I then changed the display adapter refresh rate from from 60 Hz to 40 Hz with the full 1366 x 768, and now thedisplay has been as normal for several weeks.

===

In Windows 10, right click on the desktop and select Display Settings

Scroll all the way down and select Advance Display Settings

The resolution is probably already set to the recommended 1366 x 768

Scroll all the way down and select Display Adapter Properties

Then click the button to List All Modes

Now you can change the refresh rate from 60 to 40 Hz.

*** If I didn't figure this out, I would likely have had to revert my laptop back to Win 7. 

===

On a separate note, I can't get any sound from the headphones jack.  I haven't had time to chase down a solution to it.  I may not...I rarely use the headphone output.

Thus far, I've been pretty pleased with the results.  Prior to the jump to Win 10, it was REALLY slow, and now it's pretty snappy compared to before.  

No Events found!