Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 16th, 2015 14:00

Inspiron 17R - 5721 & Windows 8.1 has no Windows 10 update icon

My Inspiron 17R - 5721 has no Windows 10 update icon.  I haven't used it in probably six months and I've updated all Windows components -- Windows Update says there are no more updates available.

I wanted to use this laptop as my guinea pig for Win-10 before I abandoned Win-7 on my desktop.

Any idea why I can't get the Windows 10 update?

thanks,

Tom

780 Posts

July 17th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

The icon is just a registration for Windows 10, not the OS itself. 

Please wait till the official launch, Ensure the laptop is up to date till then, You will be notified once the finished product is available.

If you had ever registered for windows insider program or if you could get a ISO of Windows 10, you may run it side by side or using a VM software.

Thanks

1 Message

July 24th, 2015 23:00

Hi, I have same problem with my Inspiron 14. No icon  in task tray area  and so no option to reserve Windows 10. This is despite all patches being up to date. Note that my desktop and another ultrabook did offer to reserve Windows 10 and consequently added the reserved icon to the task tray.

regards,

Woofie :)

9 Posts

July 27th, 2015 08:00

My point is that the icon allowing pre-registration of Windows 10 is not present -- and I'd like to know how to pre-register and/or how to get the icon to show up.

Your answer gives me no confidence that I will get a notification when it is released.  How does that happen when Microsoft has apparently decided that the OS currently on my laptop is not a legal copy?

According to the information on the Microsoft site, the icon will not show up if the current OS is not valid (i.e. illegal).  I purchased this laptop as a refurbished item from Dell Outlet with Windows 8 on it.

I don't want to run Windows 10 as an alpha or beta release -- I want the icon that allows me to pre-register for it and then to install it when it becomes available.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 27th, 2015 11:00

:emotion-2:

The window 10 icon is actually part of an application as a recommended Windows update (KB3035583). Check your windows updates for it.If my memory serves me correctly, update's KB3035583 came out between April and June 1

9 Posts

July 27th, 2015 13:00

Thank you -- that did it!!

My methods may not be the best, but here is what I did to get the Windows 10 icon on my laptop:

- downloaded Belarc Advisor and ran it

- clicked on its hotfix button and saw that KB3035583 wasn't installed

- went to Microsoft site for that update and found that it required prerequisites:

To install this update, you must have April 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 (2919355) installed in Windows 8.1. Or, install Windows 7 SP1.

I checked for KB2919355 and it was installed.

I then opened updates from the control panel and, voila, there was an invitation to pre-register for Windows 10.

Bottom line -- I don't know what I did, but  I now have KB3035583 and I have the Win-10 icon and that is what I wanted.

Thanks again.

4 Posts

July 27th, 2015 19:00

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6607-reserve-free-upgrade-get-windows-10-windows-7-8-1-a.html

has all the links to the solutions.  If you have a newer laptop and you do not have the OEM sticker on the box make sure that you upgrade first and not clean install so that the information can get registered at Microsoft for a clean install.  The other thing that a lot of people overlook:  Windows 7 has to be at SP1 and Windows 8 has to be at version Windows 8.1.

No Events found!