Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2015 15:00

Inspiron 5758 Touchpad Driver for Windows 10 64 bit

I have a new Inspiron 5758, about 2 months old, and want to upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit from Windows 7 64 bit.

Now the upgrade itself works fine, the only issue I have is the touchpad driver.

Under Windows 7, once you install the Dell Synaptics driver v 18.1.48.1, you have an extra page on the mouse properties page where you can set some useful options to do with the touchpad like disabling touch in the button area which I really need to do.

When I either upgrade Windows 10 or clean install Windows 10 I cannot get the v18.1.48.1 driver installed, if you manually run the installer it says it has worked but has not. If you manually try to install the driver from Device Manager you get a warning about the hardware not being compatible and if you continue the laptop needs a reboot and then the touchpad doesn't work so you have to rollback the driver.

I'm not sure if this is a touchpad driver issue or something else, is it an SMBus driver issue? Should the touchpad show as being attached to the PS/2 port or should it be running as an HID device? In device manager with no Synaptics driver loaded all I have showing is a PS/2 mouse device, no touch pad.

The drivers download section for this laptop is a mess, with many different drivers available depending on the O/S chosen with no real consistency. You have to download bits from Windows 8.1 64 bit and other bits from Windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit in order to get a full set of drivers which can't be right. There is no listed touchpad driver for Windows 8.1 64 bit or Windows 7 64 bit, the only one listed is under Windows 7 32 bit. I had hoped that the 3rd August release of the touchpad driver would fix this but it is only a January driver from Synaptics, so quite old.

Has anyone else managed to install the touchpad driver successfully in Windows 10? I know there was a problem with Synaptics touchpads and Windows 10 when Windows Update initially pushed out a faulty update of Synaptics v19 drivers that didn't work properly.

I'm really pulling my hair out with this one, I desperately need to swap from my old work laptop to my new one but until I get the touchpad sorted out I really can't.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2 Posts

August 30th, 2015 20:00

Same here... on Inspiron 14 3451

Recently purchased, immediately updated to Win10.  Tried Dell updates as well as Synaptics driver installations, which report success, but I cannot find any Synaptics applications or other evidence after installation.

Touchpad works as pointer, but not for 'gestures' or scrolling.  The "Mouse & Touchpad settings" only shows a touchpad setting for delay speed.  'Additional mouse settings' is supposed to show a Synaptics tab with options, I think, but does not.

Please recommend fix...

2 Posts

August 30th, 2015 21:00

Found a solution on Microsoft forums.

Use the Synaptics 16.x version of the drivers.  Worked for me...

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v16_2_21_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Win8.zip

Driver with Win10 was 10.0.10240.16384 for PS2 Mouse.

After update shows "Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad" ver. 16.2.21.0 under "Mice and other pointing devices" in device manager.

I'll be looking for an update to the Dell Touchpad Driver (19.0.9.4 currently) in the future to fix this problem.

3 Posts

August 31st, 2015 04:00

I will try that, though I think I have tried it before with limited success, the issue being unable to properly remove the newer drivers  so it either says that a newer version is installed so remove it first, which you can't, or it says it worked but did nothing.

Anyway, since my first post above things have changed slightly. I wiped and freshly reinstalled Windows 10 again for the 5th or 6th time and now under Mouse & Touchpad it now says I have a 'precision touchpad' with options for gestures though no Synaptics options as yet buy haven't had that much time to play with it yet.

I vaguely remember a message being show to me the first time I upgraded it to RTM Win10 from Win7 saying something about there may be issues with Synaptics devices but didn't take much notice of it at the time though this does show that MS knew about this problem ages ago.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2015 18:00

Outstanding! Thanks for the driver. I've been fighting this ever since I upgraded to Win 10. Works great!

Bob

N.Cal

3 Posts

September 29th, 2015 11:00

Which driver did you use that worked?

2 Posts

September 30th, 2015 16:00

Here it is in a snippet from above.

Use the Synaptics 16.x version of the drivers.  Worked for me...

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v16_2_21_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Win8.zip

Driver with Win10 was 10.0.10240.16384 for PS2 Mouse.

Bob T

N.Cal

14.4K Posts

October 1st, 2015 04:00

Thank you very much for info on that driver as now my touchpad is working perfectly on my old Inspiron 1520 with win 10.

1 Message

December 28th, 2015 09:00

OMG!!!  You just saved me!  I have a new Dell and after I updated to Windows 10, I have not been able to disable my touchpad and it was literally ruining my life!  This totally worked!  THANK YOU SO MUCH @sjkellogg!!!

18 Posts

March 29th, 2017 15:00

I know I'm late to post but I have a INSPIRON 1501 (2007)  and that is the issue I had, D/L many different Drv. from different Mfg. one that almost works except for EDGE APP's  and Start Menu. So i'll try your's and also found that running some Drv. in compatibility Mode for Vista helps, maybe will help others that come here. Use Compatibility Mode for Vista or Win 7 ,

I'll tell you about a call to MS and the person from India was a really cool guy and went over the top to help me fix some issue's with my 1501 Dual Boot Win 7 and Win 10, he said the MS put 10 out to soon and that the Drv issue's people have are complied by Ms and they will send out drv, from other people  and that 10 is basically win 7 with some added feature's and hidden options so that people wouldn't mess to much with 10. He said he had friends that worked on compile the OS and he did fix a lot of problems for me we also exchanged names and addresses so we could stay in touch. I know a lot of people get pissy about having to talk to someone outside the USA but really if you give them half a chance you could end up with a good friend ! as I have, so I hope all get there systems going and help some others...      

18 Posts

March 31st, 2017 11:00

I have been here looking at all the post for a inspiron 1501 and I read another where they used the Newest drv. 19.0.19 and I ran it by the info that the person wrote but It didn't work with my hardware cause it's so OLD.

I did run this drv above and it worked like a champ . I did have one that did work but not in EDGE and APP's and START MENU which were important for me so Thank you for this drv, I installed it in DEVICE MANAGER and chose Browser my Computer then pick Let me Choose so I picked the Touchpad and Have Disk, next and it had a Warning said Yes and next and rebooted when it loged back in had a window asking to Run Synaptic help ran that it went to Device picked Mouse and Touchpad then at bottom picked Advance settings it had a video, went to Scrolling and clicked on settings and followed the parts I wanted you'll have see it and you'll know what to do........

No Events found!