Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2017 11:00

Inspiron 7547 rebooting after Fall Creators Update - R7 M265 video driver issue

After receiving the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10, my Dell Inspiron 7547 laptop reboots almost immediately after booting.  Windows disables the Radeon R7 video driver and uses Microsoft's Basic Display Driver.  Installing what I think is the latest Windows 10 compatible driver - Version 23.20.72.0, Date 2017-10-20 - using non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.10.2-oct23.exe has no effect. Can anybody suggest a fix?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 31st, 2017 07:00

Hi Centaurusa,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your computer is not working as you expected after the update.  Our resolution at this level is pretty limited, so perhaps contacting Tech Support for troubleshooting and possible resolution would be in order.  

You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896 or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

8 Posts

December 5th, 2017 06:00

Thank you for your reply; however, I don't believe that I can initiate a chat session.  There is no such option displayed at the page you suggested and any attempt to access real support produces "The product is out of warranty".  

My laptop is not included on the list of Dell products that have been tested for applicability for the Windows 10 Creators Update.  The laptop was purchased just over three years ago, and is the most recent in a long line of purchases of Dell products.  I find it unacceptable that Dell is not prepared to provide updated drivers for such recent machines, nor support the hardware with the OEM operating system.  

We are all very well aware that Windows poses huge security risks if the OS is not kept patched.  So, not providing adequate on-going support for recent hardware is simply unacceptable.

3 Posts

December 15th, 2017 12:00

I agree. This 7547 has always had some issues with video drivers for me.

8 Posts

December 15th, 2017 16:00

Sorry to hear that you too have on-going issues with video driver for this Dell laptop, but I found it hard to believe that it was only me.  The surprising thing is that I don't see a whole host of complaints from other 7547 users about this issue.  Either they haven't received the Fall Creators Update yet, or Dell only sold two of these machines!  There is nothing very useful forthcoming from Dell after considerable time so I doubt that any satisfaction is coming from this quarter.  Too bad, but I too have a long-term approach and will keep this in mind next time I go shopping.  Windows' Feedback Hub is similarly useless, and AMD's user forum has gone silent on this issue.  They at least keep updating software.  However, none of th versions released to date fixes my (our) problem.  At present, I have uninstalled the AMD Software and this seems to result in Windows 10 using the Intel driver.  This steals around 2 GB of the available RAM but at least the driver doesn't seem to cause rebooting, provides full display resolution, and supports a two-monitor setup.  I can live with this in the short term, especially since Linux on the dual-boot side of the machine has absolutely no problems using its open-source video driver and I spend most of my time over there!              

3 Posts

December 27th, 2017 16:00

I found a similar thread but no real resolution:

en.community.dell.com/.../20023402

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 27th, 2017 17:00

Sorry to hear that you too have on-going issues with video driver for this Dell laptop, but I found it hard to believe that it was only me.  The surprising thing is that I don't see a whole host of complaints from other 7547 users about this issue.  Either they haven't received the Fall Creators Update yet, or Dell only sold two of these machines!  There is nothing very useful forthcoming from Dell after considerable time so I doubt that any satisfaction is coming from this quarter.  Too bad, but I too have a long-term approach and will keep this in mind next time I go shopping.  Windows' Feedback Hub is similarly useless, and AMD's user forum has gone silent on this issue.  They at least keep updating software.  However, none of th versions released to date fixes my (our) problem.  At present, I have uninstalled the AMD Software and this seems to result in Windows 10 using the Intel driver.  This steals around 2 GB of the available RAM but at least the driver doesn't seem to cause rebooting, provides full display resolution, and supports a two-monitor setup.  I can live with this in the short term, especially since Linux on the dual-boot side of the machine has absolutely no problems using its open-source video driver and I spend most of my time over there!              

Yes, why don't you go join the happy customers over at the Lenovo forums.

8 Posts

December 27th, 2017 18:00

My earlier ploy of uninstalling the AMD software didn't withstand the test of time. The laptop still kept rebooting under Windows 10.  However, I have now fixed the problem.  I loaded an earlier disk image of the Windows 8.1 partition.  Even after installing two-years worth of updates, this OS has no video driver/rebooting issues!  

3 Posts

December 28th, 2017 06:00

I installed the Dell Digital Delivery Application dated 20171014 from the Drivers and Download page.  The 7547 was giving me the same grief when trying to run my second monitor.  After Running (the App)As Administrator, it started working.  I'm not holding my breath...

8 Posts

December 29th, 2017 09:00

Let us know if this solution holds up.  I'm going to run Windows 8.1 for a few weeks.  I may then reload my Windows 10 disk image and see if any updates around that time will work.  

No Events found!