Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

January 22nd, 2018 08:00

Inspiron very slow in tasks- missing Windows 10 files

My laptop started running extremely slowly after the last update- about 60 min to restart or to open settings.  I've run the troubleshooting overnight and it comes back with missing W10 files.  I want to reinstall the full W10 OS but will need the product key code, which I understand is buried in the motherboard.  Since any action or download I try to take on Chrome shuts down due to timeout, I can't download a program that will find the product key.  What else can I do?   Will the computer recognize that an authentic W10 OS was originally installed and not need the product key code if I try to reinstall the OS?  Thanks in advance.  

• 

16.7K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 04:00

Ollie366,

When you download the Dell Windows 10 image from the link below it recognizes the key code.

Dell Windows Backup Media and Recovery Options

To download the drivers for your system click the link below and choose your computer and the OS that is installed. There is also a Driver Install Order you will need to follow.

Windows 10 Support

Support.dell.com

Driver Install Order

Drivers and Downloads FAQs

3 Posts

January 24th, 2018 08:00

Thanks for the reply, Jesse,

I have located the product key using software so is this useful or should I follow what you sent?

Since the computer is so slow in doing anything, can I download the Dell Windows 10 image onto a USB using another computer and then follow the procedure on the faulty computer using the USB?  

Also, I'm not sure if this computer was originally provided with W10 or W8 and upgraded- how can I find out?  I have the service tag #?  This computer was originally used by an associate and I got it when he upgraded.  

3 Posts

January 24th, 2018 08:00

Jesse- I used the service tag # and found the computer was shipped with W8, so at least I know that piece of info.  

• 

16.7K Posts

January 25th, 2018 03:00

Ollie366,

If the system was shipped with Windows 8 you will need to reinstall Windows 8 on the system and then upgrade to Windows 10. If you installed Windows 10 from Microsoft, you will need to get the Windows 10 OS from their site.. What is the computer model?
Windows 10 Version 1709 Installation .isos can be Downloaded from Microsoft by visiting their website.
The Windows 10 Version 1709 Installation media automatically inputs all mainstream Windows 8 OEM Product Keys. Windows 8.1 OEM Product Keys and Windows 10 OEM Product Keys during installation and automatically selects the correct corresponding Edition of Windows 10 OEM to install. All Activation Mechanisms with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Keys still work despite Microsoft only marketing a 1 year free upgrade.

Download Windows 8.1

No Events found!