Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2016 13:00

Intermittently wakes up from sleep?

Hey guys, just set up a Dell Inspiron 15, 2 in 1 with Windows 10, the Intel i5 processor and 256 GB SSD. What a screamer coming from a 6 year old Toshiba with a spinner drive and a dog processor!   This new Dell really is working well and I like it a lot.  But there is still one thing that I haven't been able to figure out.

I use the laptop on and off frequently throughout the day, so I put the computer into sleep mode in-between sessions.  MOST of the time, it stays in sleep mode.  But SOME of the time, it just wakes up on its own for no apparent reason.  

I use the touchpad to wake up the computer out of sleep mode (to save on the power button over time) but the touchpad has never been touched when it wakes up on its own.  I am using a Microsoft wireless 3500 mouse and I went into settings and under power management, unchecked the box which allows the mouse to wake the computer.

What am I missing?  The weird thing is that this is an intermittent problem, not solid.  Sometimes the hardest quirks to track down. 

Thanks in advance for the help!  

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

September 7th, 2016 17:00

Thanks Robin for your replies.........

Power management settings are all verified, but I did find an available update to the BIOS and also 3 driver updates (video, network and chipset).  So I installed all of those items and computer is now current on all software.

Used it for a day and the problem is still there, but intermittently which makes it difficult to understand.  

If anybody else has any ideas, I'm all ears!   

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 6th, 2016 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

We would suggest you to check if updates and also update the BIOS on the system .

Also check the power management setting .

Thanks

Robin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 6th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

We would suggest you to check if there are any updates that are pending. Please also check and update the video driver and also update the BIOS on the system .

Thanks

Robin

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

September 10th, 2016 11:00

I think I stumbled upon the fix for this.  After one of these waking up events, I went into "command" and typed:

powercfg -devicequery wake-armed

This showed what was actually waking up the computer.  

In my case, it was the WIRELESS KEYBOARD FILTER DEVICE.  Went into Device Manager and under "Keyboards",  found the Wireless Keyboard Filter Device and under Power Management, I unchecked the box that allowed this device to wake the computer.  

Been using this laptop a couple of days now with no further events, so can consider this one resolved!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 16th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

Kindly let us know if the issue is resolved .

Thanks

Robin

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

September 16th, 2016 10:00

This issue is solved!  I was looking for a "mark as solved" option, but didn't see one?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 19th, 2016 09:00

Thats ok we have updated it is the service request

1 Message

September 18th, 2018 01:00

Thanks, that worked for me after noticed computer was coming out of hibernation randomly. As you say, got command prompt (in administrator mode) up and used that query to find out what was registered. Had wireless mouse and Keyboard registered to wake up computer.
The used the /DEVICEDISABLEWAKE option to disable each in turn.

Cheers

1 Message

November 21st, 2019 18:00

I am having the same problem. Closing the laptop and putting it into the bag and then pulling it our a few hours later and the computer is running a marathon and red hot. I'm not sure what the problem is, never experienced this with other computer brands.

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2019 20:00

I seeing the same problem in Inspiron 15 7000 2 in 1. I bought it about a year ago.

It wakes up randomly from sleep and laptop get heated very quickly (within an hour to two of use).

February 9th, 2020 12:00

I had the same issue with my Dell Precision 5540 and I finally found the solution!

For me, disabling "Connected Standby" mode fixed the issue. See how to do it below:
https://techjourney.net/how-to-disable-connected-standby-instantgo-in-windows-10-8-1-8/

You have to go into the registsy (run regedit.msc), then navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

then click on:

CsEnabled

and change it from 1 to 0, then reboot your machine and it should now stay in sleep mode properly.

Connected standby is a state that keeps the computer partially awake (or at least its supposed to). Smartphones and tablets use this so when you turn on the screen, they wake right up , but I don't think it works very well for laptops or computers. My laptop would always overheat in my backpack when in this state.

1 Message

February 26th, 2020 00:00

'Invalid parameter'  - Not helpful.

1 Message

April 16th, 2020 11:00

@birchlakeI have a Dell Inspiron 13 7000, Windows 10 experiencing the exact same issue.  I tried the command prompt suggestion you gave and the only response I get is "Invalid Parameters -- try "/?" for help". 

Did you use a different command prompt than what you shared ("powercfg -devicequery wake-armed")?  Or do you have an update to share?  I would have thought since we're both using Windows 10 that it would be plug and play but I'm still struggling with it.  Any suggestion to get the command prompt to work like you used it before?  Thanks! 

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

April 16th, 2020 14:00

TSandy,

It's been a long while since I worked on this "wake" issue but here are the notes I made in my file that I think is what finally resolved it.  Worth a try.  Hope this helps!

1. Go to control panel, power options, change when computer sleeps, advanced settings, sleep, hibernate after and change the hibernate setting to 180 minutes for battery and 2660 minutes for plugged in.  Also when in advanced settings/sleep, open allow wake timers and change to “disable” for both battery and plugged in.
  2. Use Device Manager and under “Keyboards”, select Wireless Keyboard Filter Device, right click on “Properties” and under “Power Management”, uncheck the box that allows this device to wake the computer.  

2 Posts

June 14th, 2020 14:00

should be POWERCFG /DEVICEQUERY wake_armed

No Events found!