Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2017 01:00

Is restoring Win10 from recovery USB equivalent to restoring from SSD recovery partition?

As I learned, there are two ways of restoring Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 13:

1. Using recovery partition located on SSD
  2. Creating an external USB media with 'Dell OS Recovery Tool'

Are there two approaches equivalent?

Can I, for example, destroy all the partitions on the hard drive and then restore a system to a factory state just using my USB?

Thanks a lot

Dmitry

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 19:00

Doing a recovery from a working system will reset back to a factory condition.  You may or may not be able to keep some of your personal settings.

I have not used the Dell Recovery option but I believe it also needs a drive with an install already present.

A third option, which will allow a factory reset to a new drive, is making a Win 10 recovery drive.  What OEM parts are maintained depends on the recovery system on that install.  That process has been changing over time.

Of course, you always have the option of using just the Win 10 install media to do a clean install.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 8th, 2017 19:00

Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for reaching out on Dell Community Forum for assistance. Yes, there are two ways to restore the Dell system to factory state. The options will restore the system to same state. You can delete all the partitions on the hard drive and then use the recovery media.

No Events found!