Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2016 18:00

Is there a way to stop automatic restart with Dell updates and/or with Windows 10 after the anniversary update?

My new laptop ran Dell Updates overnight a couple of days ago and I had to power it up the next morning, only to discover it was a complete restart and the programs I had open were closed. Luckily I think I was able to recover everything from the closed applications, but is there a way to tell Dell Updates when I want to restart the computer?

Also, I was able to do this with Windows 10 before the anniversary update, but the option seems to have disappeared in the settings now.

March 9th, 2017 10:00

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to Windows 10 and my Dell laptop is new, so I'm wondering if the automatic reboot was done via a Windows update or via the Dell updater?  I walked in during the middle of it and it said updating firmware.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2018 07:00

Even when I specify working hours, the laptop restarts while I am working without giving any notice. 
I heard that this is a common windows 10 home problem and from Microsoft support they told me that I can only activate the restart option which does not work, if I upgrade to Windows 10 professional.
This is not true, as even in the professional version of Windows 10 which I have in my other laptop, this option also is inactive, but the computer does not restart without notice. This problem appeared after the last update of windows 10 home.
Seems that this is a common problem not dealt sufficiently by Microsoft. Could it be a Dell update problem, instead?

No Events found!