Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2017 04:00

Issues with XPS 15 9550 laptop and Windows update KB3213986

I've been having issues updating Windows 10 with packages KB3213986 and KB320632 for the past few months. I've been trying to get support via the Microsoft community portal for some time now, but don't seem to be getting anywhere with them, so I thought I'd try here in case there are any known common issues or other suggestions.

I previously blocked KB3206632 from installing after it failed and rolled back 4x with one attempt causing me to blue-screen and need to restore from a saved point. Now I'm also having issues with KB3213986. The symptom with KB3213986 is that it downloads the installer, installs a bit, reboots, gets to about 99% complete then decides it needs to roll back.

The support guy on the MS forum basically got me to update all drivers (some which hadn't been picked up by Dell Support app) and a BIOS update, so I should be up to date with all drivers now. I have also disabled antivirus and turned off secure boot in case that was an issue and attempted an install by performing an in-place upgrade using the win 10 media creation tool outside of Windows update, but I still get the same issue of it attempting to install and roll back every night.

Thanks for any suggestions (especially if they work!)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 1st, 2017 07:00

Those all some old windows updates.....:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you run the windows updates troubleshooting tool on system. Please type Troubleshooting Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, click on 'View All', and then windows updates, run the other tool as mark in image below.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 1st, 2017 08:00

Keep my files:

4 Posts

The sfc and DISM commands were steps that have been tried a few times following advice on the MS forum (for info, the link is answers.microsoft.com/.../8a300516-6350-494c-9113-a07bb97b9c40 )

The first time I did it I had an issue, but it's not picked up anything on subsequent attempts.

I'd ideally prefer not to have to reinstall everything again (though thankfully most of my work stuff is on a VM), so I'll keep that as a backup option for now. Those options do look similar to running the in-place upgrade though which also failed at 99%

4 Posts

@Saltgrass - OK, in my event viewer log, I have WindowsUpdateClient reporting

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0922: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986).

According to that MS site

0x800F0922

This error might mean that your PC couldn't connect to the Windows Update servers. If you're using a VPN connection to connect to a work network, disconnect from the network and turn off the VPN software (if applicable) and try upgrading again.

The error could also mean there isn't enough free space in the System Reserved partition. You might be able to fix this problem by using third-party software to increase the size of the System Reserved partition.

Now, our office network connection can be a bit flaky occasionally, but I don't think this can be the reason for failure at the same point every day for the last month or two. I don't use VPN, so that's not the case here.

The system reserved partition could have something to do with it. Checking Win Disk Management I have 4 partitions: an EFI Sys Partition (500MB/500MB free), 2 recovery partitions (450/450MB free and 11.92Gb/11.92Gb free) and my main C: drive (80Gb free). Seeing that other websites talk about sys reserved partitions of 100MB I'd have thought these would be fine???

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If the troubleshooter didn't fix the issue, I suggest you try the steps in the link below:

youtu.be/2E69RnGDaPc

4 Posts

Forgot to say that the Win Update troubleshooter was one of the checks that I'd done in the other thread. It reported some issues though, so just in case this time it's done something magic I'll see what happens overnight (it's a 2h cycle to install-uninstall so not really suitable for office hours!)

The other vid was mainly for Windows Defender definitions. My Win Defender updates have been installing fine and this is a cumulative update rather than a Win Defender issue. The other step it mentioned of deleting the SoftwareDist/Downloads dir was done already by the Win Update troubleshooter.

I'll report success/failure tomorrow.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

It is strange this update replaces the prior update which would not install.

If you can get an error number, the link below may be useful and does give the basic process for correcting problems.

There should be some log, other than the WindowsUpdate.log, which would show what happened.  Perhaps do a search for *.log and when you find one you can open, check for a date and time which corresponds to the install failure.

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

Good post and article Salgrass. Number 9 is one of my favorites in fixing failed updates.

Run the System file checker:

a) Press Windows key + X key at the same time, select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc/scannow and press enter

If no corrupted system files were found , then I would suggest you try the following steps:

a) Select Command prompt (Admin)

b) In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command....  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Lastly,

If none of the steps fix the issue, I suggest you reset windows 10 with the option to keep files, photos, Apps and your other important stuffs. Type Settings onto [Cortana] search box, click Update & Security, Recovery then select "Reset this PC". 

1 Message

April 13th, 2018 09:00

I have the exact same issue and tested all proposed solutions to no avail, did you manage to fix it ??

No Events found!