Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

June 27th, 2017 17:00

MaxxAudioPro high CPU usage (with and without audio playing) due to missing registry keys?

My laptop is Dell 5577. It came with MaxxAudioPro audio management suite which isn't written correctly. It causes high (3-5%) CPU usage while listening any audio. It isn't supposed to use any CPU. Disabling special effects doesn't help.

I used Sysinternals tool and found out that it's trying to access registry keys (Stream1, Stream2 etc) that don't exist. It keeps looking for these keys hundreds of times per second, so my guess is that's why it causes high CPU usage. While there is no audio playing, WaveSvc.exe still uses 0.5% CPU; it isn't supposed to.

I partially solved the problem after disabling Wave Audio Services service from Windows Services so it won't start after a reboot, then disabling Waves MaxxAudio service from Task Manager > Startup tab. After a reboot there is no trace of WavesMaxx software running.

The problem I'm facing now is that when I remove earphones, the YouTube video pauses because the PC tries to switch the playback to speakers. I have to click the YouTube video and rewind it to resume the playback, this time with speakers. If I plug the earphones back, the speakers continue to play audio unless I rewind the video. To play a local audio file from earphones again, I have to go to Windows 10 "Playckback devices" and disable speakers.

Please fix the drivers, Dell! This is a brand new laptop and I'd hate to return it for a problem like this. It is a major inconvenience. Thanks!

9.4K Posts

June 28th, 2017 05:00

Hi KelvinMcKelvin,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:  http://bit.ly/2tnTiv4

+972-3-608-4000

+972-3-608-3960

Email Us

www.waves.com

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 28th, 2017 06:00

My laptop is Dell 5577. It came with MaxxAudioPro audio management suite which isn't written correctly. It causes high (3-5%) CPU usage while listening any audio. It isn't supposed to use any CPU. Disabling special effects doesn't help.

Playing music will use processor time and  Waves seems to get involved in several different ways and does add to processor use.  There is a AudioDG.exe which uses quite a bit of time and does query keys Stream1 thru Stream 9, which are found.  Waves itself does seem to look for Streams it cannot find.  I think part of that might be polling for inputs/outputs so it can do the popup when something is plugged in.  Since I am not a programmer, I have no idea as to what options they may have.

I would advise you use the latest available version of the Audio Driver.  On my 9365, an option to not do the popup has been added in the latest Realtek driver (6.0.1.8166).  I have to check that system, but it may still be polling the ports or Streams

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 28th, 2017 07:00

I'd hate to return it for a problem like this.

If it is a deal breaker then I'd suggest returning it, because Dell rarely fixes audio issues. The 30% issue has been around for some time now, mainly on some XPS models, and nothing has been done about that I know of.

[This thread has been moved from the Laptop Audio board to the Windows 10 board. Interesting choice. ]

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 28th, 2017 10:00

Please fix the drivers, Dell! This is a brand new laptop and I'd hate to return it for a problem like this. It is a major inconvenience. Thanks!

My initial tests on the 9365 with the new Realtek driver seems to indicate the Waves process shows up in Process Monitor only when I plugged in my headset.  It ran for a couple of seconds and then stopped and no version of Waves showed up in the listing after that.

I had previously selected the headset in the popup and then selected the option to not show that popup.

These settings are also available in the MaxxAudio utility under the Advanced options with this driver.

The attachment was taken when Process Monitor was started after having plugged in the headset while playing music.  The WavesSvc64 does no show because it did not run during the 5 minute period.

1 Message

March 17th, 2018 14:00

@robert p - That link doesn't even show any support for the Dell 9560 (XPS 15)... but it came pre-installed.

I'm having the same issue where waves uses 20-30% CPU randomly. I have to manually kill the process from task manager at least twice a day. I have yet to even plug anything into the input jack since I got the laptop two months ago and use bluetooth/usb. So I don't know why the process keeps running and hogging resources. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 18th, 2018 11:00

It might depend on something else you are running, such as Chrome..

Waves doesn't normally just start using processing power. So possibly you have a corrupted install or something else is involved.
I assume you are seeing this usage in Task Manager? You might open the Resource Manger to see if it will give a better picture of what might be happening.

5 Posts

April 8th, 2018 05:00

I also experience this without playing any audio at all. The WavesSysSvc64.exe is averaging 13% CPU when the system is idle. 

I am using Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 13 9360R with BIOS 2.6.2, Version : DELL - 1072009

Very frustrating since it keeps the fan running. 

Any solutions?

1 Message

April 8th, 2018 17:00

Have the same issue.  Incredibly frustrating.  The is ongoing for 15 minutes AFTER a reboot. My only option is to kill the task.

Full HTML page 

All drivers are up-to-date.

Full HTML page 

1 Message

April 16th, 2018 00:00

Hi,

It turned out that the service cannot start (at least for me), and was in the "Starting" state after a reboot.

After detaching the external headset (USB device, Logitech something, attached to a USB-C docking station) and restarting the service, it is now in the "Running" state, and there is no high CPU usage from the service any more.

This may help others...

-- Vazul

247 Posts

May 18th, 2018 14:00

Did not realize this has been a issue for some time. My Dell 5567 has Maxx Audio and happened to notice in Task Manager of a CPU eating up 58 % running video through Chrome. At first I thought it must be Chrome but then realized I had two threads of Maxx Audio running and both were at 24% or so. that made up almost all of my CPU usage and why is audio taking up so much CPU over Chrome a web browser? Somethings not right about that. 

1 Message

May 31st, 2018 08:00

Same for me, no matter what I do I get the system fan running at full speed until I restart. Its so annoying I think I will return the laptop as even killing the process does not fix the system fan, it just stops the CPU usage.

What a pile of garbage for a laptop that should have great battery life and has a huge heatsink to dissipate heat!

I dont have multiple users logged on, I dont have loads of apps running (Chrome plus some simple office files), and I have all firmware and BIOS updates installed that are on the Dell website.

5 Posts

September 24th, 2018 23:00

Thank you very much. Same issue was with 9570 - attached USB headset from MS to the dock. Service in starting state. Dell keeps me surprising...

Best regards,

Mike.

1 Message

October 5th, 2018 04:00

Hi all,

We have the same problem here with Dell Latitude 5490, Latitude 7390 2-in-1 and Latitude 5290 2-in-1.

We already found out that the problem only exists when the Latitudes are connected via USB-C dock (Dell WD15) and an USB headset is connected. USB headset directly connected to the Latitude without Dell WD15 don´t produce the high CPU load. Also when no USB headset is connected the Latitude and WD15 working fine in this combination.

Currently I had Plantronics headset tested only, but next week I will also try Jabra and Logitech.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2019 20:00

Hello Robert.

Could you please let us know what the link was for? 2019, and still the users of Dell w/ Maxx by waves cannot find a way to eliminate the inconvinient of High CPU Usage. 

Many of us are waiting for new drivers (or at least a way to fix it) without any luck.

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

April 26th, 2019 01:00

How shoul this link help? No infos behind this link.
No Events found!