Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2015 17:00

N5110 Windows 10 upgrade and lack of Dell support

I have a household with Two Dell desktops and Three laptops the oldest laptop being a 37 month old N5110.  Kids in school you know the drill.  Of course the oldest is mine, the purchaser, the N5110, After reading about Dell not supporting this product for Windows 10 software update. I pulled my old Sony from the retired computer pile in my home office, and with a few auto updates I got a reservation for Windows 10,  So this past week I decided that if Dell drops the N5110 upgrade path I'm dropping Dell from my approved vendor list, Designating Dell to be just another Apple, stranding its customers by not providing a migration path.  The reasoning behind the Intel / Microsoft PC compared to alternatives in the 80;s was the future upgrades.  I have the Intel CPU & MS O/S but I guess I screwed up by purchasing Dells.

Oh I even tried the BIOS fix,  I already have that version installed.  I guess I just wait to see what Dell does after reading N5110 post I'm afraid that I'll have to select another Vendor, I did it to Apple in the 80's, But I'll stay with Windows and find another preferred hardware vendor if they strand this laptop with no future.  I think it is funny that someone defined the laptop lifecycle at three years at dell. Plus I use Dells in the office.   

1 Message

August 1st, 2015 09:00

I have a similar problem.  The only laptop i have is N5110 Inspiron. It was one of the best configurations of that time. 

I am very much unhappy about the BIOS compatibility issue which stops me upgrading to windows 10. 

I blame both Microsoft and Dell for this. Now its like none of them wants to take up the responsibility to provide a fix. If this has to be the trend in future it will become a norm to washout devices after every 3 years. Which is not value for money. 

I hope dell comes up with a upgrade to BIOS or they reachout to Microsoft to fix the issue and upgrade on what ever is existing. I know its not a joke  cause every hour spent writing that code for a 1 person would cost too much of money.But again its  their duty.

1 Message

August 7th, 2015 09:00

Not sure what the exact question is, but however it is true that DELL says that this model is not compatible with Windows 10, I successfully upgraded my 15R N5110 to Windows 10 Home, all system devices got their drivers, upgrade was without a hitch.

Once Windows 10 was installed and activated I did a clean install of Windows 10 Home, again installation went without a hitch.

One thing to keep in mind is that this laptop comes originally with terrible HDD - Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive. this HDD is very slow. Before you do an upgrade to Windows 10 - replace the stock HDD with SSD.

1 Message

March 14th, 2016 23:00

After many hours of searching for solution to "bios not supported" problem with my Dell N5110, I just finally got a Windows 10 reservation!!! How I did it? I upgraded the bios to A11; still didn't work. So I just updated every possible software on my Dell N5110. After multiple software updates, I tried the Windows 10 update and there I was with a reservation notification!!

1 Message

March 30th, 2016 12:00

I can not believe I can NOT upgrade my Laptop N5110 Inspiron to Windows 10.  I need this for work so this has become a huge hassle for me.  It looks like I will have to buy a new Laptop and I guarantee it will NOT be a Dell.  Microsoft wants to me to contact Dell and Dell tells me to contact Microsoft.  This is a joke and I am very disappointed in both of these companies.  Once again the big corporations make billions and the little gets stuck holding the bag.

April 19th, 2016 22:00

I am in the same pickle as you.  No more Dell products for me, no matter how good the deals.

2.3K Posts

April 20th, 2016 12:00

You will find its a hit and miss with any manufacturer as its up to the computer company and the companies that make the chips inside to supply appropriate drivers.  Plus in my opinion Windows 10 is a bust right now.

No Events found!