Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2015 15:00

New laptop: Windows could not complete the installation

Just brought home a new Inspiron 15 5558 laptop.  Box says Windows 10 is pre-installed.  Turn laptop on and it's stuck on Dell screen with this message:  "Windows could not complete the installation.  To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation".  How do I proceed?  There are no discs to install. Box included the laptop and the powercord.  Anyone know what to do?  Thanks!

1.8K Posts

August 19th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Easiest way to resolve this would be to use the Dell Recovery Partition and restart the installation.   

To Restore Your Computer From The Windows Recovery Environment:
  1. Restart your computer
  2. While the computer restarts, press F8 to open the Advanced Boot Options menu
    If the Advanced Boot Options menu does not open, wait for the Windows logon screen to appear. Then restart your computer and try again
  3. Select Repair My Computer using the Arrow keys and press Enter to open the Windows Recovery Environment
  4. On the first System Recovery Options window, click Next to select the default option
  5. If you are prompted, log on as administrator to continue
  6. On the Systems Recovery Options window, click Dell Backup and Recovery
  7. In the Restore System window, select the backup file that you want to use to restore your system from the drop-down menu and click Next

Your computer will restart and the state of your restored system will be the same as the selected backup

Let me know if you have problems getting that to work.  

Todd

No Events found!