Start a Conversation

Unsolved

9 Posts

July 19th, 2019 15:00

No bootable devices found

I'm working on a Dell XPS 13 9360 that belongs to a user in my organization. I've tried numerous resolutions both here and elsewhere online regarding this issue and none seem to fix my particular issue.

Issue:

If I power down the laptop and then turn it on, it boots normally. However when I boot into windows 10 and then restart, only then do I get the "No bootable devices found" error. When I click shutdown from this error page and then turn it back on, it boots normally again so it really only seems to be happening when the laptop is restarted (as opposed to complete shutdown and turn on).

I'm going to do my best to provide decent background but please let me know if I can provide any additional info:

- Internal storage is an M.2 PCIe SSD

- I've clean reinstalled the OS (Win 10 pro x64).Formatted the partitions and recreated them.

- Flash updated the BIOS to the latest version as of this post (2.12.0)

- Boot sequence is set to UEFI (I created a boot option for bootx64.efi)

- Diagnostics pass with flying colors (Including thorough test for the hard drive)

-Tried resetting BIOS to default settings

-SATA operation is set to AHCI not RAID

-I've ran all available windows updates and driver updates from Support Assist (because why not)

I'm completely out of ideas besides buying a new drive (although I'm not convicted the drive is the issue if it passed the diagnostics) or just paying to send it to Dell since the warranty expired already. Any guidance is welcome

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 19th, 2019 18:00

Could you go through, step by step, on how you reinstalled Win 10?  Why did you partition the drive yourself?  Why did you add an bootx64 boot option?

9 Posts

July 20th, 2019 07:00

I have a win 10 install usb I keep handy for installs and troubleshooting. I’ve used it for months on multiple systems without any issues. To install, I hit f12 and booted from the usb and did a normal clean installation (first without wiping the partitions). After I noticed the issue I described, a colleague suggested I reinstall after wiping the partitions (I didn’t think it would help but couldn’t hurt either) and also rebuild the bcd which I did. I added the boot64 option because after this install there was none and one of the suggestions in another post on here recommended it as a step.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 20th, 2019 07:00

So you no longer have the Factory configuration on the system. 

If you install over a previous install, the installer will normally ask where you want to install Windows.  If you were to have a separate partition you wanted to keep you could clear an area for Windows and leave that along.  But the area Windows is to be install can not have any of the critical partitions remaining windows need to install itself.

The bootx64.efi trick is for systems which have lost the primary boot device and that has worked for a secondary option although I have never tried it.  After a clean install, the BCD store should be complete and contain everything it needs.  I get the feeling, some of this has been troubleshooting steps and I am having a problem deciding exactly where you are now with your configuration.

There have been many situations of folks losing their boot device.  As far as I know, no really good solution has been found and the cause has not yet been identified.

Hopefully, I am not misunderstanding and even after the attempted clean installs, you do have the ability to boot that system now.

9 Posts

July 20th, 2019 18:00

My apologies if I haven't been too clear with my explanations. I spent a lot of time on this issue and recalling all the details is sometimes a bit of a blur.

As the situation stands now yes I am able to boot into windows but only after a complete shutdown and restart. For some strange reason simply clicking Restart from Windows always takes me to the No bootable devices found screen. That's what I'm trying to resolve.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 21st, 2019 08:00

When you get a chance, open an admin command prompt and type the command below.  Copy and paste the resulting listing.

bcdedit

Maybe we can see something in your boot options which might effect your situation.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 21st, 2019 08:00

If you are running the NVMe drive using a RAID setting, the Device Manager should show an Intel SATA/PCIe Premium driver.  If you are running it as AHCI it should show an NVMe driver.

One difference between a powered down start and a restart is when powered up from powered down, Win 10 will use a hibernation file to load drivers and other configuration info.  If you wanted to reset that hibernation file, you might disable Fast Startup in the power options for a boot or two.

Since restarts have data still in memory, possibly a driver is changing or some data is not agreeing when the system reboots.  You have probably gone through the Bios setup already, but the next time you restart, try going through the Bios setup and then let it continue, to see if the problem occurs with that procedure.

9 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 07:00

As a side note, I also just noticed that while I was away, there was a Windows update, after restarting, the system began applying the update as usual and then restarted. Only this time I got a different error message saying "Hard drive not installed". I clicked continue and it restarted again and booted normally. Even completed installing the Windows update.

9 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 07:00

Interesting. I was not aware of that. When I do a restart but go into BIOS first and then continue, it boots fine. I tested it a couple of times.

Result of bcdedit:

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {42f7fbc6-aa72-11e9-8678-b0e06103add5}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description Windows 10
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {42f7fbc8-aa72-11e9-8678-b0e06103add5}
displaymessageoverride Recovery
recoveryenabled Yes
isolatedcontext Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {42f7fbc6-aa72-11e9-8678-b0e06103add5}
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Standard

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 08:00

Your BCD store looks fine.  So I don't know anything other than to play with the Fast Startup option to see if it will rewrite some file.

If you use the F12 key during boot to get a Boot Device Listing, do you see any errant options or if you have choices?  Perhaps choose one of those to see if one gives you the boot device error..  If it does happen, you can check the Bios for any Boot device options you have showing as Default or even secondary.

Do you have any external devices attached?

You might even try doing an in-place upgrade where you have the install media available and run Setup.exe from within Windows. 

Hopefully, you are not still having a situation with the Controller on that drive jumping back and forth.

9 Posts

July 22nd, 2019 09:00

F12 Shows:

Legacy Boot:

m.2 PCIe SSD

UEFI BOOT:

HDD (this is the boot option I added in BIOS)

Other Options:

BIOS Setup

BIOS Flash Update

Diagnostics

Change Boot Mode Settings

Booting from the Legacy option fails saying "Selected boot device failed". Booting from the UEFI option boots normally. No external devices attached.

I tried switching between Fast Startup modes. It was initially on Auto. Switching to Minimal or Thorough doesn't seem to make any difference except now I'm getting the "Hard drive -not installed" error instead of "No bootable devices found". I have an M.2 SSD in my personal laptop at home. I'll try putting in here to see if there's a change even though the BIOS diagnostic still says the drive is fine.

I'll try the in-place upgrade if that doesn't turn anything up.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 18:00

Windows will normally, in the UEFI environment, boot to a Windows Boot Manager.  It does not boot to a device.

The boot you added will boot to a different Boot Manager, not the normal one.  You might try going into the Command prompt from the recovery environment and run the command below.

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

It will check the Windows installs and see if the boot option for that OS is in the BCD Store.  It appears, in your system. it is not.  If that won't work, the next step would be to do the in-place upgrade to get it to reconfigure the boot options.

No Events found!