PC loses internet connection after sleep

I have to go to network each time to reconnect  each time after sleep mode,

I have windows 10

Any suggestions?

• 

17K Posts

February 9th, 2022 05:00

Lord Vader,

Considering the troubleshooting you did, it seems to be there were outdated drivers, and the post Support Assist scan helped us resolving the issue.

It happens when the update does not go through properly. However, we are glad the issue is resolved for now. In case of any issue, you can always reach out to us. We would be glad to assist you to resolve it.

• 

17K Posts

October 22nd, 2018 04:00

Donkagan,

What specific Inspiron Desktop model?

Change the setting in device manager to see if that will resolve this issue.

Using Device Manager

1. Press Windows Key + R and type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box to open Device Manager.

2. In the Device Manager window, expand Network Adapters and look for your WiFi driver, do a right click on it, select Properties.

3. In the property sheet, switch to Power Management tab and uncheck the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK.

You may now close Device Manager and restart the machine to get your issue fixed

2 Posts

February 6th, 2020 15:00

Hi Jesse,

I also have the problem of having to reconnect to wifi every time my  Dell XPS 15 Windows 10 comes out of sleep mode.

Any help preventing this laptop from disconnecting from wifi would be much appreciated!

Peter

2 Posts

February 6th, 2020 16:00

Hi Jesse,

I forgot to mention, my Dell Model XPS 15 9570 does not have a power settings tab in the DeviceManager for the network adapter.

Just trying to find a way to prevent the laptop from disconnecting from wifi during sleep mode.

Thanks!

Peter

1 Message

September 4th, 2020 07:00

I have same problem as you. So frustrating!

9 Posts

October 21st, 2020 02:00

Ditto. Dell Latitude 5300 here. Extremely frustrating during these remote working times. What happens is that VPN stays on, but the WiFi/Wlan interface freezes when idle past system sleep time. Only way to correct this is to disconnect and reconnect to Wlan again. Doing this multiple times every day since need to stay online throughout the day

9 Posts

October 21st, 2020 02:00

Hello @DELL-Jesse L At least here (Dell Latitude 5300 w/ Intel Wireless-AC 9560 chipset) there is no such tab as power management under Device manager > Network Adapters > Intell(R) Wireless-AC 9560 > [properties] 

Under "Advanced" tab closest resemblance is "MIMO Power Save Mode" which is set to "No SMPS" - to no avail. Wlan drops of after idle daily. Please suggest more mitigations. 

1 Message

January 24th, 2021 07:00

Hi Jesse

Exactly the same issue. 

Your solution doesn't work for me because the power management tab has been removed (by Dell presumably). 

They're also missing from Advanced Power Settings in the Control Panel. 

Can you suggest something that works without having to change power options? Or a way to restore power management settings? 

Thanks.

Edit: XPS 15 bought in the UK.

March 7th, 2021 08:00

More effing BS from Dell.

1 Message

May 6th, 2021 17:00

I'm having this exact same problem on a new dell inspiron 5402. I'm considering just returning it and saving myself the grief.

9 Posts

May 6th, 2021 23:00

Currently running Latitude 5300 - gotta testify that although I too was here complaining about this issue, after first updating BIOS and the network drivers, everything works flawlessly. 

I guess it's kind of an ongoing dance between hardware and software. Windows 10 is developing at warp speed and is a fantastic OS, but it also requires that firmware is updated more often - meaning that you need to do these updates even to new DELL's out-of-the-box.

1 Message

August 13th, 2021 06:00

Like others have reported, I don't have a "Power Management" tab on my Precision 7760.  How do I resolve?

August 16th, 2021 22:00

To save energy, Windows automatically disables the Internet connection when the computer goes into sleep mode. This setting logs off the computer user and severs the computer's connection to the local area network, disrupting office network applications and periodic computer updates and messages. To maintain a connection while the computer is inactive, turn off this setting in the "Power Management" utility

9 Posts

August 18th, 2021 04:00

@LenoraColson See the problem is (was) not that the connection is disrupted, it is that it does not resume automatically, but you need to manually reconnect to the network automatically. What I've done since my last post is also to move to S3 sleep instead of this new Windows suspended mode. That fixes a whole another problem, but thought I'd share. 

September 28th, 2021 13:00

I might have found a solution based on some other posts and just trying different things.

So on my Dell I do not have a power management option when looking at my network card in device manager, so i did some research.

Go to device manager

Go to Network Adapters and expand

Right click on your Wireless AC (nic)

Select Properties

Go to the Advanced tab

look for MIMO Power Save Mode 

Change the value to NO SMPS

I did that, then put my Dell in sleep mode, then woke it up and my wifi was still connected, then i restarted and it connected automatically.

Hopefully this helps. 

No Events found!