Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2017 14:00

Ran Windows 10 update - now No bootable devices found - Inspirion 13-5378

Additional message: Possibe causes could be a corrupt OS image or a boot device not enable in BIOS setup.  How can this happen from a Windows update? 

I ran the diagnostics and no issues with the hard drive. Any suggestions to resolve?  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 10th, 2017 07:00

Since I have not seen a definite single answer, if there even is such a thing, I cannot give you an answer.  Some Windows update will modify the boot system so as to reboot in such a way to complete the update.  I believe something goes wrong with that process and the original boot is not restored correctly.

But as what to do, the first thing is check your Bios and make sure the Primary boot device is selected.  In a UEFI system it would be the Windows Boot Manager.  You might boot and use the F12 key to have access to the Temporary boot device menu and see if the necessary device is listed and can be selected.

If the boot device is available and when selected still gives the same message then it is likely something has corrupted the boot in some manner.  It is hard to believe, with all the folks which seem to have the problem, that some of these situations has not been resolved.

If you boot to a recovery drive or the install media, there are some commands you can run to check the Boot situation.  If you decide to try that, let us know.

No Events found!