Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2015 21:00

Reinstall media for an upgraded windows 10 pro laptop

I just bought a laptop 3 months ago and it shipped with windows 8.1 Pro and It was advertised that I can do the upgrade when I get it. I told the Sales Rep I would want the windows 10 reinstall Media. He said to use the utility to make the media. I said OK.

Here is my problem I'm wanting to put a larger SSD Drive into the laptop and the recovery media will not work if the Hard drive is not the same. I will need factory install media for Windows 10 the laptop is still under warranty. Can dell send me the media for windows 10 to install.

Also why can't I post in other forums only the usa Customer Care Board.

thank you

Mitch

2.3K Posts

November 18th, 2015 13:00

You will only be able to get official Dell media with the OS that came with your computer.  If you create media from the media creation tool from Microsoft and do an upgrade, the system will store your key on the USB and in Microsoft's systems and you should be able to use it when you swap out the HDD for an SSD.

36 Posts

November 18th, 2015 14:00

So you are saying when windows 10 is reinstalled Microsoft will have the key on file that my computer has and it will install and activate because they are storing my key to my computer?

2.3K Posts

November 18th, 2015 15:00

It should yes as long as you downloaded the media to install an upgrade, not a clean install.  The upgrade will register your windows 8.1 key with microsoft and allow everything to work when you do a fresh install with the new ssd. 

No Events found!