Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

6 Posts

August 17th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for your reply

I don't quite undestand, what IME or IMEI is, but what I wanted to say is that when I tried to find Intel Management Engine Interface (IMEI) for my i7 Q720 processor, there wasn't one installed in the computer nor was it to be found on the Intel download page for my processor: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/43122/Intel-Core-i7-720QM-Processor-6M-Cache-1-60-GHz-.

Which, I suggest, indicates that there's no point in reinstalling this program, or driver, or whatever it is, since it is not even installed on my computer.

Would you kindly have any suggestions what to try?

1 Message

September 25th, 2018 01:00

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

how to make find imei on M4500 laptop?

I can't find it so I can't change it manually.

Installation file from the link is only for win7.

How shall I proceed?

November 8th, 2018 12:00

I had this problem on a Dell E6410 with Ibex Peak platform ( Core i5 560m ) that uses the ME 6.0. No drivers worked on Windows 10 x64. The laptop wouldn't shut down or sleep or hibernate under Windows 10.

I finally solved it after many tries : You have to use MBR partition table. The problem is that when you make a clean install of Windows 10, it defaults to a GPT partion table when booting the installation media in UEFI mode.

So the solution is quite easy : disable UEFI booting, boot the usb key and install ( you may have to "clean" your disk for this to work, procedure is here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-gpt-disk-into-an-mbr-disk )

Be aware that all data on the disk will be destroyed this way.

However you can do it without destroying data using Easus Partition Master ( https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/convert-gpt-disk-to-mbr-disk.html ) Personally I had no other computer so I had to create a bootable Partition master to convert the disk (hence buying the software ) but it works !

1 Message

February 10th, 2019 05:00

Here is what I did after wasting half day of time:

1) Bios boot sequence set as "legacy"

2) Hold F12 to boot CD as "legacy"

3) After windows 10 setup is loaded, hold "Shift F10" to get a command prompt, type "diskpart", "select disk 0" ("0" is for the 1st disk), "clean", "convert mbr", "exit"

4) Install windows

1 Message

October 28th, 2019 11:00

I unchecked "Turn on fast startup" in power settings.

2 Posts

March 18th, 2020 06:00

The Real Solution is to get set back the CMOS Settings at the BIOS, by removing the CMOS Batterie, the Batterie of the Laptop and their Power cable. Wait 5 minutes so CMOS gets discharged and then start up again the Laptop. At least it worked on a Precision Dell 7730.

3 Posts

May 5th, 2020 05:00

Dell E6410 - upgraded from W7 to W10

I notice that there are quite a few drivers no longer made for W10.

Mostly everything updated - Up to the latest (available) Bios for this model A17

All the latest Windows and Dell updates.

NO Intel Management software to remove...
Disk has an MBR
Tried all the variants round Fast start, changing the power settings..

Nothing has worked...

I can only shut down to the restart point, and hold down the power key till I kill the process entirely..

(After having read each post over the 18 pages on this subject, I'm giving up the will to live...)
Any suggestions would be gladly accepted... except the ones above!!

1 Message

May 20th, 2020 11:00

No downgrade available at this link any more, any other suggestions?

1 Message

June 23rd, 2020 12:00

I have tried everything suggested to date ... nothing works.  I have the latest BIOS and the updated Windows 10!  Shutdown is still a problem.  Waking from sleep or hibernate still is a problem without a hard reboot (holding down the power button for the hard reset).  Is Dell watching/reading this? I have had great luck with my Dell desktop in the past, but this 7370 issue does not sit well with me and Dell was wondering why I shy away from purchasing thousands of Dell laptops for my company!  This is frustrating!

1 Message

September 5th, 2020 16:00

If the Intel downgrade didn't work for you, let me tell you the real solution. I was so close to throw this Dell garbage out through the window.

Go to Sounds from speakers in taskbar, Speaker/Headphones - REALTEK GARBAGE, then Properties -> Advanced - uncheck the checkboxes and change to 16 bits 48k for added benefit of sound not popping. Your laptop will shutdown on battery and turn on normally.

I hope people read this before they buy a new motherboard like some already did. 

2 Posts

September 6th, 2020 13:00

Worked like a charm thank you!

Used the EaseUS method and changed to MBR and set BIOS on last boot to Legacy.

Regards

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2021 04:00

ive a dell latitude e5410 pc on latest windows 10 20H2 and computer wouldnt shut down (blue light stood on in the power button and fans kept spinning)

when i opened manage devicesI noticed a driver was missing (yellow triangle)

ACPI\SMO8800\1
ACPI\VEN_SMO&DEV_8800

thats ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor Driver

I downloaded latest driver version from dell website

4.14.65.A00

now pc shuts down

fastboot is enabled in windows 10 and pc is on latest A16 bios with fastboot bios option set to auto

1 Message

May 16th, 2021 01:00

Thank you very much, this solution worked for my latitude E4310.

1 Message

September 29th, 2021 00:00

that did it! 

1 Message

June 28th, 2022 05:00

I don't have any of these Intel Rapid technology services installed so i don't know what the problem is but this only started happening after Dell replaced my motherboard.  I've been trying to get service with them since yesterday but they keep dropping from the chat and then i have to start all over again.  Did anyone get any resolution from this issue?  I know this thread is from 2015 

No Events found!