Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 26th, 2018 00:00

[Solved] XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 -- 1.3.1 BIOS stuck on Dell Logo

Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 running Windows 10 (installed with Task Deployment by SCCM) is stuck on the Logo Dell since I've upgraded the BIOS to 1.3.1 from 1.0.21.

I've already brick another XPS, the same model, when I've upgraded to 1.1.0 (stuck on Dell Logo) the machine was changed by Dell. I was hoping that revision 1.3.1 solved the issue.

My config BIOS :

- Secure Boot > Secure Boot Enable > Disabled
- General > Advanced Boot Options > Checked “Enable Legacy Option ROMs”
- General > Boot sequence > Boot List option: Legacy
- System Configuration > SATA Operation > AHCI

We have 7 XPS 13 2-in-1 and all are working well with this config but I know that if I upgrade the BIOS I will brick the computer (directors ones :Confused:).

I've tried to changed AHCI to RAID, no stuck but no disk found (whereas BIOS seen it)

Is it possible to donwgrade to 1.0.21 (Dell does not provide this revision) ? If yes, how to do this ?

Is it possible for Dell to correct the issue ?

Thanks for your help

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 23:00

bbelle,

I too am deploying Windows 10 v1709 for our XPS 13 9365 model's, and I am using the exact same settings as you are.

We have had ZERO issues with these laptops prior to the 1.3.1 BIOS update; however, after flashing the BIOS from version 1.0.21 to 1.3.1, the laptops freeze at the Dell splash screen.

Dell has replaced 2 system boards for us, ensuring those system boards were compatible by provisioning the old 1.0.21 BIOS. 

However, when a 3rd laptop was bricked by updating to BIOS 1.3.1, Dell wanted us to ship the laptop to their Advanced Care Team. 

The laptop came back with BIOS 1.3.1, yet it was a Dell factory image, and they stated that there was something wrong with our image, and that they could not help us.

Let's get something straight here, Dell, any Systems Admin that is worth their salt, does not deploy factory images; instead they build them from the ground up, creating something that works best for his or her business needs.

We need an answer to this! What has changed from BIOS 1.0.21 to BIOS 1.3.1 that would possibly cause this issue to incur?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 4th, 2018 08:00

@bbellewrote:

Dell XPS 13 9365 2-in-1 running Windows 10 (installed with Task Deployment by SCCM) is stuck on the Logo Dell since I've upgraded the BIOS to 1.3.1 from 1.0.21.

I've already brick another XPS, the same model, when I've upgraded to 1.1.0 (stuck on Dell Logo) the machine was changed by Dell. I was hoping that revision 1.3.1 solved the issue.

My config BIOS :

- Secure Boot > Secure Boot Enable > Disabled
- General > Advanced Boot Options > Checked “Enable Legacy Option ROMs”
- General > Boot sequence > Boot List option: Legacy
- System Configuration > SATA Operation > AHCI

What type of drive do you have in your system?  As far as I know it would be a PCIe/NVMe drive.  The Bios would have to be set up for either RAID, in which case you could use Legacy, although I don't know why you ever would, or AHCI, which means you cannot use Legacy boot..

I have been running or 1.3.1 for months with factory install except I changed to PCIe instead of SATA and no problems for my system.  If you are modifying the factory image, it would seem you would know best what was different from a factory system.

If you have one that is bricked, do a clean install of Win 10 for testing..

4 Posts

May 7th, 2018 09:00

Yes we use a NVMe drive (M.2 PCIe SSD), but many other Dell models are working well with the same deployment image (Optiplex 7040, Optiplex 7050, Latitude 5580, Latitude 7480). All of these machines are up to date with the BIOS version. Why this model XPS work with default BIOS version (1.0.21) and not the next version (1.1.0 and 1.3.1) ???

We use a image to deploy Windows 10 via SCCM. It is generated by our headquarter IT department.
Unfortunatly SCCM is not configured for UEFI Boot Mode, so we use the legacy one.

If I set the BIOS to use RAID, next boot it run the "Pre-Boot sytem Performance Check" with the result : Hardware scan complete with no issues. No bootable devices were found ! Possible causes could be a corrupt OS image or a boot device is not enabled in BIOS setup. (in other thread of this forum, AHCI if needed to be visible for the WinPE environnement)

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 03:00

New BIOS version 1.5.0 solve the issue.

I'm frustrated because I've lost a lot of time to inform Dell about this issue. Their answer : Legacy MODE + AHCI is not recommended...

arf support...

Thanks developpers

2 Posts

October 30th, 2018 18:00

Sorry for such a late response, bbelle, I among others on this forum thank you. That's what fixed it for me back in July. 

Now, I have another issue with another batch of Dell XPS 9365 2-in-1 laptops. We recently started loading Windows 10 Pro v1803 on our Dell laptops: 5490, 5530, and these XPS 9365's. No issues with the aforementioned laptops; however, I cannot get passed the Cortana Welcome screen on a GPT/UEFI or MBR/Legacy build. These images are built from clean Windows 10 Pro .iso straight from Microsoft with Appxpackages stripped using Powershell in DISM, Windows updates, Dell drivers, Java, Chrome, Adobe Reader, and our GPO. However, as soon as the Sysprepped image boots, it gets stuck at the Cortana Welcome screen. This issue did not happen with v1709. 

Ever come across this? Any advice?

4 Posts

November 1st, 2018 03:00

We use v1703 and recently update to v1803, no issue in my side. If I understand, you have the issue on diffrent model ? (if yes you can considere that drivers are not the root cause) If I were you I temporary disable Windows Update folder during Task Sequence (We haven't integrated any update, we do it afterward). If it is the same, maybe try to disable softwares installation one by one...
No Events found!