Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2015 13:00

“This product is being used on another PC” on W8.1 quagmire - when upgrading to W10

Hi,

My machine: Inspiron 7437 bought in December 2013 in Best Buy US, now I live in UK so Dell US wont talk to me. My Windows is 100% legitimate.

When I bought it, I immediately upgraded to W8.1 and all worked until I had a problem with OneDrive and Microsoft did a “InPlace Upgrade” remotely in early December. They asked me for a Product Key – but Inspiron 7437 doesn’t have a sticker, the ID is apparently embedded. I downloaded “RWEverything” and it gave me my key, which I provided to Microsoft and they did the InPlace Upgrade – Windows 8.1 stayed and it seemed to work OK.

I got the notice to upgrade to Windows 10. Today I downloaded W10 and upgraded.

In the process, I got a message about “your version is not activated, etc.”, so when W10 starts it isn't activated.

I contact Microsoft help, they tinker and say “sorry – your product is used on another PC”, let's do “roll-back to W8.1”.

Of course, when I rolled back to W8.1 it’s the same problem – “your product is used on another PC” “enter a new key”

I call Microsoft “customer sales” – they are not techies (“we just sell”). I asked them for a key to 8.1 – they say “we don’t sell 8.1 anymore, only 10” and it will cost me $119.

Summary: I am now stuck in W8.1 that isn't activated, and the Product Key that I have isn't activating – I get the message that “This product is being used on another PC”.

What are my options?

For example, I can upgrade again on-line (I get the reminder to upgrade and as above, already upgraded then "rolled back to W8.1) – then if I buy a whole new Windows 10 on a USB, will I be able to activate my existing Windows 10 with the key supplied with the W10 that I bought (on the USB), or I will have to reinstall the whole Windows 10 and lose ALL my settings and customisations?

Please help!

27 Posts

December 30th, 2015 02:00

Sorry, I forgot to note that prior to the attempted upgrade to Windows 10, I updated the UEFI BIOS, perhaps this is what corrupted the activation?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 30th, 2015 06:00

Sorry, I forgot to note that prior to the attempted upgrade to Windows 10, I updated the UEFI BIOS, perhaps this is what corrupted the activation?

Updating BIOS with another Dell BIOS should not have corrupted the activation.

27 Posts

December 30th, 2015 13:00

ieee, thanks, but what are my options if I don't want to reinstall windows from new?  Can I buy a Key?  Can I buy the whole Windows 10 as a package and just enter the key on the package or in such case I MUST install Windows from clean?

Finally, what will happen if I do nothing and not activate?  Is there a time limit after which Windows will just shut off?  What are the limitations - for the moment, it is only the Blutooth that doesn't work and from time to time I see a splash screen asking me to activate.  

thanks in advance for the advice (I want to reiterate, my laptop and the Windows are 100% legit).

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 30th, 2015 14:00

Windows stops working after 30 days at least that is my experience with Windows 7.

I am not sure what your options are. I am not an expert with the business of Windows product keys.

Personally, I would want to start fresh at square 0.

I would install Windows 8 which is apparently what your system came with originally. Then upgrade to Windows 10. You should be able to request the backup media for your original OS. https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/media

You will probably have to pay for the backup media since you are out of warranty.

If Dell isn't able to help you, I would buy a Dell Windows 8 DVD on eBay. This is based on the belief that your BIOS has Windows 8 key.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 30th, 2015 19:00

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 31st, 2015 10:00

You should complain to Best Buy because they sold you the PC. Maybe they'll give you Win 8 reinstall media and/or a key to reactivate what you have now.

There is a convoluted way here to get around this problem using Win 10 preview build 10130. I don't know if that build can still be found out on the net or if this method will still work but it won't cost you anything to try, if all else fails...

27 Posts

January 1st, 2016 02:00

Thanks to all, ieee and RoHe.  The problem is solved by the simplest action.  In my desperation I went to my friendly local PC shop and repair (a guy that repaired my old 1558 at least 6 times but this is another story).

He said immediately that my UEFI BIOS update is what screwed the Product Key and was surprised why I didn't use the "call for support".  The thing is that I did but only in Windows 10 and, while wanting to help, W10 makes a real person call u and this is what complicated things.  Instead, as a last ditch effort I went to "call Support" on the W8.1 (remember, I rolled back).  it worked like a dream, I had to confirm that I installed the product only on 1 machine (which is the truth) and it gave me the key!  Hurray!  W8.1 came back to its old life and yday I carefully upgraded again to W10 and touch wood it now works as advertised!

thanks again for ur help!

PS: pls can you direct me to right Dell forum to ask a question about my Dell 7437's seemingly erratic CPU usage and as a result completely unpredictable fan noise.  Sometimes there is no application or program opened and the fan is on full revs and sometimes (like now), quite a lot of windows are open, the CPU usage is under 30% and the fan is not spinning.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 1st, 2016 07:00

Instead, as a last ditch effort I went to "call Support" on the W8.1 (remember, I rolled back).  it worked like a dream, I had to confirm that I installed the product only on 1 machine (which is the truth) and it gave me the key!  Hurray!  W8.1 came back to its old life and yday I carefully upgraded again to W10 and touch wood it now works as advertised!

I am confused by you wrote here.

What does "call Support" on the W8.1 mean?

27 Posts

January 1st, 2016 10:00

ieee,

I meant that Activation request took me to a screen in "PC Settings" (or something like that, I cant recreate it now coz I am on W10).  There was "Acttivate Windows" there that notified me that "This Product is used on another PC", them there were three buttons:

1. Enter New Key

2. Purchase a key (which I knew wudnt work coz earlier, Microsoft Sales person said that they don't sell W8.1 keys anymore, only W10)

3. Call Support.

Upon clicking "Call Support" it asked me which country I was, gave me a free number to call while opening a series of about 10 6-digit sequences.  The automated response on the call, suggested to SMS on my mobile a link with site so it is easier to input the long sequences of numbers, which I did.  When I input the long sequnces, the site (on my mobile), asked "how many devices have you installed this product?"  I answered "1", the system was "satisfied", I guess and spewed a Product Key that I input and my little spat with Microsoft was over!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 1st, 2016 11:00

Wow. That is just bizarre.

I am not sure I learned anything from it.

Glad you were able to straighten it out. I would suggest that you make a clone image of your hard drive so that you don't go through the same mess when your hard drive fails.

27 Posts

January 1st, 2016 11:00

thanks anyway, and also, pls advise which forum is the best to post the following question:

"my Dell 7437's seemingly erratic CPU usage and as a result completely unpredictable fan noise.  Sometimes there is no application or program opened and the fan is on full revs and sometimes (like now), quite a lot of windows are open, the CPU usage is under 30% and the fan is not spinning."

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 1st, 2016 12:00

probably the Laptop  General Hardware forum

No Events found!