Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2015 15:00

Upgrade from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional with XPS 8900 does not work

Dell Community told me to re-post this message on this forum.

answers.microsoft.com/.../a07f6f7a-d448-4d2a-94b3-57345ae5252a;rtAction=1450738659123

Above is response from Microsoft community.

Dear Greg & Corby50,

I experienced the exact same problem as Corby50.  I believe we bought the exact same XPS 8900, the only difference is that I bought mine from Microcenter and Corby50 got his from Costco (I did see it advertised online at Costco).  I bought the machine fully intending to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional.  

I experienced the “Whea_Uncorrectable_Error” on three different XPS 8900 machines.  So in total, I think we have 4 examples (Corby50 + my three examples that follow).

Machine #1:

Bought from Microcenter.  Came home and started a remote session with Dell Premium Support.  Agent upgraded my system from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional.  Then we started to add programs.  Then got the blue screen “Whea_Uncorrectable_Error”.  System would crash, reboot, and then ask me to sign in.  I would and it would happen about every 20 minutes, closing all open programs each time it rebooted.  I came across the same articles Greg references in his post (from a google search).  Since we thought it might be faulty hardware, and I needed a functioning computer, I drove back to Microcenter and exchanged it for the same model.

Machine #2:

Followed the same routine as above.  Dell Premium Support Agent remote accessed my machine, and upgraded from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Professional.  Then, we started to add programs.  Then got the blue screen “Whea_Uncorrectable_Error”.  System would crash, reboot, and then ask me to sign in.  I would and it would happen about every 20 minutes, closing all open programs each time it rebooted.  This time, the agent tried to update a bunch of stuff (Intel Chipset, Wireless Drivers, Graphics Card, Windows Updates, etc.).  Thought we solved the issue as system seemed to be working.  Then, system crashed again.  Then agent tried to go back to Windows 7 Professional.  By this time, system was slowing down and we could not figure out what was going on.  So, I decided to abandon Windows 10 Professional, and start over with Windows 7 Professional.  I took the desktop back to Microcenter and got a new one.

Machine #3

This time, we did not try to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional.  I got a Dell Premium Support agent to remote access in to monitor the attempt at installing and setting up the new system.  What was interesting was that it did “blue screen” crash one time.  Then, the agent ran some hardware scans (which all passed).  Then the agent downloaded Tweaking.com and WhoCrashed.  I am not familiar with those programs, but they ran scans and identified errors.  The agent updated some stuff, and it seems to have corrected the crashing problem (although not in Windows 10 Professional problem, because I’ve been too scared to attempt upgrading again).  For the past several days, everything seems to be working pretty well, albeit on a dated operating system.  While the system has not crashed, I do get some weird notifications from the Dell SupportAssist application which is cause for concern.  I’ve included System History and a few System Event examples below for reference.  I don’t know how to interpret them.

Summary:

At this stage, I am not sure what to do and could use some advice.

I still do not know if I was experiencing a) overclocked CPU, b) BIOS setting issues, c) underperforming power supply, or if none of the above (e.g. issues cited in the google search for “Whea_Uncorrectable_Error).

Option 1:

My first option is that I can keep system as is and continue using Windows 7 Professional.  The positive is that it seems to be working.  The negative is that I paid a premium for a bunch of new technology, and can’t use the latest software.  Plus, I’ll have to upgrade down the road eventually and not only will it cost more money then but I may still experience the same problems.  Even if I do continue with option 1, I still have no idea if everything was fixed or not (from the Tweaking.com and WhoCrashed) as Dell will not speak to me unless I purchase a software contract to have them work on the software they installed on my computer to fix a problem that came with a new product I bought from them.

Option 2:

My second option is I could keep the system and attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional.  I have no idea if the Dell agents fixed the root cause issues or not.  If they did, then maybe everything would work smoothly and all ends well.  If they did not, then I am really worried about getting into a situation where I spend another all-nighter working with tech support trying to fix something that is not going to work, and then losing access to my computer for another week or two.

Option 3:

My third option is that I could cut my losses, return everything and move to another manufacturer or Apple.  I have about 5 days to make this decision before the return period expires. 

Software:

• Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016
  • Microsoft Visio 2016 Professional
  • Microsoft Project 2016 Professional
  • McAfee Multi Access – Total Protection (Cox Security Suite)
  • Dropbox
  • Google Chrome 64 bit
  • iTunes
  • Quicken 2015

Hardware:

• Dell UltraSharp U2414H Monitor (2 Monitors)
  • Logitech MX800 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
  • Epson WF-3640 (All in One Print/Scan/Fax)
  • Asus RT-AC3200 Wireless-AC 3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Router
  • Logitech HD Pro Webcam c920
  • APC – Smart-UPS

1 Message

January 7th, 2016 16:00

I was having the same problem on my Dell XPS 8900.   I usually would do a clean install of Windows 10 but I was in a hurry and did an upgrade.  I will probably do a clean install of Windows 10 when I have a little more time, however I am not sure that will resolve the problem.  I believe I was able to determine the driver that was causing the "WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error".  I have been running for 3 days now with no crash.  To fix the problem on my computer, I simply disabled the Dell Wireless 1560 802.11ac adapter.  The steps are as follows.

1. Go to the "Device Manager"

2. Expanded the "Network Adapters" subsection

3. Right click on the Dell Wireless 1560 802.11ac and click Disable

This is not the ideal solutions, especially if you need the wireless, however Dell hopefully will release an update that will fix this problem in the near future.

Update--

I just noticed that the driver that I had was installed was not the most current version of the driver.  I have updated to the most current release on Dell's site and will update this post with the results.

No Events found!