Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2016 06:00

Who Has the Oldest Dell PC Successfully Running Windows 10?

I bought my Studio XPS 8100 in March of 2010. It runs a clean install of Windows 10 very well. I wonder: are there other Dell PCs of that vintage or older that successfully run Windows 10?

Over the years I upgraded the hardware by adding a new power supply, graphics card and additional RAM. I also added an SSD as the boot drive and made the original HDD my data drive. I added a USB 3.0 card to accommodate USB 3.0 devices. Everything else is stock.

Windows 10 is the fourth OS to run on this computer. I replaced the original Windows 7 with a clean install of Windows 8, followed by clean installs of Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10. Dell doesn't support any of these operating systems on the Studio XPS 8100, but that clearly makes no difference.

2 Intern

• 

215 Posts

June 17th, 2023 15:00

Hi there, DaddyX!

This is MastiffX, and we are the same person! So I am actually replying to myself 6 1/2 years later. Is that cool?

Guess what: We are still using our Studio XPS 8100, and it still runs as well as it did on the day when we first pushed the power button, more than 13 years ago.

But now, sadly, the time has come for a new computer. Windows 11 will not run on this motherboard (although it runs pretty well inside a virtual machine) so we are almost at the end of the line.

I'm shopping for a new Windows 11 computer now, but I'll continue to use this computer until Windows 10 loses support, in October of 2025. When that happens, our computer will take its place of honor next to our other Dell computers in the closet.

Will our next computer be another Dell? Of course!

No Events found!